Mailing List Archive

[cargo] autocomplete on pages displayed as links
Hi folks,

I'm working with Cargo, PageForms, and PageSchemas. I'm trying to define a
hierarchy of places (all assigned to category "Place"). I'm probably doing
several things wrong. The hierarchy is roughly:

SolarSytem- -> Planet --> Continent --> Nation --> SubRegion --> City -->
Neighborhood

I used PageSchemas to generate a "Place" Cargo table, Form, and Template.
It has two fields right now. (1) The "Type" Cargo field is a Page with a
list of possible inputs from the hierarchy above. The "Type" Template is
text with autocomplete. (2) The "PartOf" field is identical except it has
no list of possible inputs since I was hoping it would draw from page
instances.

When I choose a Place "Type" from the list, the selection is displayed as
static text, not as a link (even if I manually create a page with the same
name). When I try to choose a Place "PartOf", autocomplete never finds the
places I've already generated.

What is the proper way to create such a hierarchy? My approach does not
generate real subcategories like Place:SolarSystem and Place:Planet. Is
that what I should be doing? Does that require each subcategory to have its
own schema, form, and template?

Thanks for your guidance,
-david
Re: [cargo] autocomplete on pages displayed as links [ In reply to ]
Hi David,

I believe this is two separate issues. The first is, I believe, due to a
bug that existed with #template_display, where it didn't display links for
fields of type "Page" that also have a list of allowed values defined for
them. I just checked in a fix for this, so if you get the latest Page Forms
code, it should hopefully work correctly.

The second isn't actually a bug, I don't think. When you set autocompletion
for a field of type Page, you have two choices: you can autocomplete based
on values that have already been entered for that field, or you can
autocomplete based on the set of wiki pages that the field is meant to
hold. By default, it's the first one - which means that you will only see a
value in the autocompletion after it's been entered at least once.
Ultimately, it probably doesn't really matter which one you do - but if you
stick with this approach, you'll need to manually enter each value once.

-Yaron

Re: [cargo] autocomplete on pages displayed as links [ In reply to ]
Thanks Yaron. Two followup questions:

(1) How would you implement a hierarchy of place types using Cargo? Would
you just have a TYPE field (nation, city, neighborhood) and PARTOF field
with all pages being part of category PLACE? Or would you try to do
something more sophisticated with categories (place:nation, place:city) ?

(2) Is there any way to autocomplete on a set of pages that match a query?
Perhaps a query that draws from the current contents of form pulldown
menus, etc?

Re: [cargo] autocomplete on pages displayed as links [ In reply to ]
Hi,

There are different ways to implement hierarchies in Cargo - the right
approach depends a lot on the size of the data set, how well-structured it
is, how much it's going to change, etc. What you're doing now sounds like a
reasonable approach, though. Though I don't understand what you mean with
the "place:" namespace - categories are defined with the "Category:"
namespace.

Autocompleting only on values that match with the "Type" value selected in
the form makes sense - and thankfully this can be done with "values
dependent on":

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Page_Forms/Input_types#Dependent_autocompletion

-Yaron

Re: [cargo] autocomplete on pages displayed as links [ In reply to ]
Yaron, I installed the new version of PageForms. The links to pages inside
forms now displa as links. Thank you!