.

Would it be possible to update the HitCounters repo, please?

Thanks in advance.
Re: Update HitCounters GitHub repo [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 6/4/21 7:01 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
> Would it be possible to update the HitCounters repo, please?

They seem to have made a change in their fork, not in the actual
repository on Gerrit. <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T282897> tracks
updating HitCounters to not use the deprecated hook. Once that's done,
it can be backported to the REL1_36 branch.

-- Legoktm
Re: Update HitCounters GitHub repo [ In reply to ]
Kunal Mehta <legoktm@debian.org> writes:

> On 6/4/21 7:01 AM, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> Would it be possible to update the HitCounters repo, please?
>
> They seem to have made a change in their fork, not in the actual repository on
> Gerrit. <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T282897> tracks updating HitCounters to not use the
> deprecated hook. Once that's done, it can be backported to the REL1_36 branch.

As the original author of HitCounters, I would love to be able to hand
over maintenance of it to someone else.

Since the people who forked it haven't opened up an account on Gerrit,
though, I suppose I can merge in their patches and ensure T282897 is
fixed.

Thank you all for the reminder.

Mark.
Re: Update HitCounters GitHub repo [ In reply to ]
"Mark A. Hershberger" <mah@nichework.com> writes:

> Since the people who forked it haven't opened up an account on Gerrit,
> though, I suppose I can merge in their patches and ensure T282897 is
> fixed.

I've updated the HitCounters extension in gerrit[1] and made it installable
via composer.[2]

Please feel free to file bugs against this in phabricator.[3]

Mark.

Footnotes:
[1] https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/g/mediawiki/extensions/HitCounters

[2] https://packagist.org/packages/mediawiki/hit-counters

[3] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/mediawiki-extensions-hitcounters/
Re: Update HitCounters GitHub repo [ In reply to ]
> I've updated the HitCounters extension in gerrit[1] and made it installable
> via composer.[2]
>
> Please feel free to file bugs against this in phabricator.[3]

Awesome, thanks Mark.

I think this extension should be included by default in Mediawiki. It
is so useful I don't understand why folks have to do something special
to get it.

Jeff
Re: Update HitCounters GitHub repo [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 1:33 PM Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've updated the HitCounters extension in gerrit[1] and made it installable
> > via composer.[2]
> >
> > Please feel free to file bugs against this in phabricator.[3]
>
> Awesome, thanks Mark.
>
> I think this extension should be included by default in Mediawiki. It
> is so useful I don't understand why folks have to do something special
> to get it.

https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Removing_hit_counters_from_MediaWiki_core

Bryan
--
Bryan Davis Technical Engagement Wikimedia Foundation
Principal Software Engineer Boise, ID USA
Re: Update HitCounters GitHub repo [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 4:04 PM Bryan Davis <bd808@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 2021 at 1:33 PM Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > I've updated the HitCounters extension in gerrit[1] and made it installable
> > > via composer.[2]
> > >
> > > Please feel free to file bugs against this in phabricator.[3]
> >
> > Awesome, thanks Mark.
> >
> > I think this extension should be included by default in Mediawiki. It
> > is so useful I don't understand why folks have to do something special
> > to get it.
>
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Requests_for_comment/Removing_hit_counters_from_MediaWiki_core

Thanks Bryan.

I'm not sure about this:
* useless metric

We find it very useful for the development lifecycle. Specifically,
Step 5, feedback. We use it to determine what pages should be extra
polished, and what users are having problems with.

Hmmm....
* better served by an extension
* Extension:Google Analytics or similar

I'm not sure it is a good idea to track users or force users to
surrender their data to Google. Wiki administrators should not set
that policy for a user. Agreeing to tracking and surrendering data
should be a user's choice.

Jeff