Mailing List Archive

#mediawiki IRC support channel available on libera.chat
TL;DR:
* The #mediawiki IRC support channel is moving from Freenode to Libera.Chat.
* Register an account on Libera.Chat and join us there!

There has been a lot of activity over the last 2-3 days related to
staffing changes on the Freenode IRC network [0]. The Wikimedia IRC
Group Contacts (GCs) [1] evaluated the situation and decided that
moving the Wikimedia IRC channels from Freenode to the brand new
Libera.Chat IRC network [2] would be the best course of action [3].
So, we are moving!

A new #mediawiki channel has been created on irc.libera.chat for
handling MediaWiki support requests and general discussion. The old
channel on Freenode still exists and will be maintained at least until
we can get all the bots moved, our documentation updated on
mediawiki.org, and we see more folks on the Libera channel than the
Freenode one. We have a bot bridging both channels so messages to the
channel in either IRC network will be seen on the other network.

There is a new subpage on Meta-Wiki [4] for information on how to create
a new account for yourself on Libera.Chat and other related information.

There is also a tracking task [5] that you can look at to see various
activities that the community hopes to take action on to complete the
migration.

One last thing: The #wmhack Freenode channel is bridged to
#wikimedia-hackathon on Libera.Chat. The new channel name will make it
easier for the GCs to help manage spam and other issues that come up
occasionally on IRC. Don't miss the fun of our 2021 virtual hackathon
from Friday, May 21st to Sunday, May 23rd! [6]

[0]: https://www.kline.sh/
[1]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Group_Contacts
[2]: https://libera.chat/
[3]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?diff=21476411
[4]: https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Migrating_to_Libera_Chat
[5]: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T283247
[6]: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Hackathon_2021

-- Legoktm
Re: #mediawiki IRC support channel available on libera.chat [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On 5/20/21 3:20 PM, Kunal Mehta wrote:
> A new #mediawiki channel has been created on irc.libera.chat for
> handling MediaWiki support requests and general discussion. The old
> channel on Freenode still exists and will be maintained at least until
> we can get all the bots moved, our documentation updated on
> mediawiki.org, and we see more folks on the Libera channel than the
> Freenode one. We have a bot bridging both channels so messages to the
> channel in either IRC network will be seen on the other network.

Supposed "draft" changes to Freenode's policies and recent actions by
their staff have pushed us to close our channels their and leave their
network entirely.

We still need help with updating all references to point to the Libera
Chat channels instead - this work is being tracked as
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T283247>.

And if you need help migrating, please see
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/IRC/Migrating_to_Libera_Chat> or ask on
this list.

-- Legoktm