Dear MediaWiki users,

Nice to meet you. I have a simple question... In my MediaWiki instance I
have a set of Properties whose data type is String. As far as I have
seen, it is not possible to add text longer than 400 characters for this
property. Is there any way to increase that limit?

Thank you very much!

Claudio

http://www.avg.com

Re: How to increase character lenght of a String Property [ In reply to ]
I assume you are asking about Semantic MediaWiki. Works for me by
default: [0].

There is a mailing list for Semantic MediaWiki. See here: [1]

[0] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/20210414
[1] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki_mailing_lists

Karsten / MediaWiki and Semantic MediaWiki enthusiast / ? https://professional.wiki/

Re: How to increase character lenght of a String Property [ In reply to ]
Thank you very much for your answer Karsten

Actually, what we are using is the Wikibase extension of MediaWiki. The
link to the website is https://wiki.eagle-network.eu/ and the Properties
I mentioned are used to store the translations of the text of the
epigraphs, see eg. https://wiki.eagle-network.eu/wiki/Item:Q9529. These
fields appear to have a length limit of 400 characters (the type is String).

Do you have any suggestions on how I can check if this can be changed?

Thank you very much!

Il 14/04/2021 20:30, [[kgh]] ha scritto:
> I assume you are asking about Semantic MediaWiki. Works for me by
> default: [0].
>
> There is a mailing list for Semantic MediaWiki. See here: [1]
>
> [0] https://sandbox.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/20210414
> [1] https://www.semantic-mediawiki.org/wiki/Semantic_MediaWiki_mailing_lists
>
> Karsten / MediaWiki and Semantic MediaWiki enthusiast / ? https://professional.wiki/
>
> Am 14.04.21 um 19:03 schrieb Claudio Prandoni:
>> Dear MediaWiki users,
>>
>> Nice to meet you. I have a simple question... In my MediaWiki instance
>> I have a set of Properties whose data type is String. As far as I have
>> seen, it is not possible to add text longer than 400 characters for
>> this property. Is there any way to increase that limit?
>>
>> Thank you very much!
>>
>> Claudio

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
Claudio Prandoni

AEDEKA srl
Via Umberto Forti, 6 - 56121 PISA (ITALY)
tel. +39.050.0980331 fax +39.0503869203
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

http://www.avg.com

Re: How to increase character lenght of a String Property [ In reply to ]
Hi Claudio,

sometimes one can only do a guess. ;) I was wondering about the String
datatype though.

Hmm, I ran into this issue on Wikidata too but did not investigate if it
was a configuration or a datatype issue though I very much suspect the
latter. In the end just did not add the info I had which was ....

Anyhow, there is also a dedicated Wikibase mailing list which should get
your question to the right spot: [2].

Cheers

Re: How to increase character lenght of a String Property [ In reply to ]
Hi Claudio et al.,

Karsten is right that in general you might be more likely to get your
questions about Wikidata/Wikibase answered (or answered more quickly)
on the wikidata-tech list.

I think that you should be able to configure these limits but I'm
unsure off the top of my head what the upper-bound might be. The
documentation for the string length limits can be seen in the "string
limits" section of the Wikibase Options documentation. [1]. I think
you're interested in changing 'multilang'.

Hopefully that helps.

Cheers!
Tom

[1] https://doc.wikimedia.org/Wikibase/master/php/md_docs_topics_options.html#autotoc_md319

Re: How to increase character lenght of a String Property [ In reply to ]
Hi both,

Thank you very much for your support and references. It actually looks
like it's possible to configure string limits but I'll post the question
on the wikidata-tech list to make sure I don't make any mistakes.

Thanks again and all the best,

Claudio

Il 14/04/2021 23:25, Thomas Arrow ha scritto:
> Hi Claudio et al.,
>
> Karsten is right that in general you might be more likely to get your
> questions about Wikidata/Wikibase answered (or answered more quickly)
> on the wikidata-tech list.
>
> I think that you should be able to configure these limits but I'm
> unsure off the top of my head what the upper-bound might be. The
> documentation for the string length limits can be seen in the "string
> limits" section of the Wikibase Options documentation. [1]. I think
> you're interested in changing 'multilang'.
>
> Hopefully that helps.
>
> Cheers!
> Tom
>
> [1] https://doc.wikimedia.org/Wikibase/master/php/md_docs_topics_options.html#autotoc_md319
>

> On Wed, 14 Apr 2021 at 21:49, [[kgh]] <mediawiki@kghoffmeyer.de> wrote:
>> Hi Claudio,
>>
>> sometimes one can only do a guess. ;) I was wondering about the String
>> datatype though.
>>
>> Hmm, I ran into this issue on Wikidata too but did not investigate if it
>> was a configuration or a datatype issue though I very much suspect the
>> latter. In the end just did not add the info I had which was ....
>>
>> Anyhow, there is also a dedicated Wikibase mailing list which should get
>> your question to the right spot: [2].
>>
>> Cheers

>> Karsten / MediaWiki and Semantic MediaWiki enthusiast / ? https://professional.wiki/
>>
>> Am 14.04.21 um 22:32 schrieb Claudio Prandoni:
>>> Thank you very much for your answer Karsten
>>>
>>> Actually, what we are using is the Wikibase extension of MediaWiki.
>>> The link to the website is https://wiki.eagle-network.eu/ and the
>>> Properties I mentioned are used to store the translations of the text
>>> of the epigraphs, see eg.
>>> https://wiki.eagle-network.eu/wiki/Item:Q9529. These fields appear to
>>> have a length limit of 400 characters (the type is String).
>>>
>>> Do you have any suggestions on how I can check if this can be changed?
>>>
>>> Thank you very much!