Mailing List Archive

Very simple formatting question
hello mediawiki users,

I have a bullet list:

* one
* two
* A very very... long line

Now I would like to wrap the third line to ease editing
(but without the intention of changing the layout):

* one
* two
* A very very...
long line

-> in this case, the bullet list ends at "long line"
which is now indented at the level of the bullet points.

I also canon seem to escape the newline:

* one
* two
* A very very... \
long line

This would be ok layout-wise:

* one
* two
* A very very...<br/>long line

but then I have these very long lines in the edit window still.

Any Ideas for this simple problem?

Many Thanks and Best Regards,
Felix
--
Felix Natter

Re: Very simple formatting question [ In reply to ]
> On 13 Mar 2021, at 20:23, Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> ?...
>
> Now I would like to wrap the third line to ease editing
> (but without the intention of changing the layout):
>
> * one
> * two
> * A very very...
> long line

I don’t think this is possible. The line break will end the wikitext list. What about using HTML ul and li tags, or just resizing the window?

Best wishes

Jonathan
Re: Very simple formatting question [ In reply to ]
Jonathan M <jonathan.mailing.lists@gmail.com> writes:

hello Jonathan,

>> On 13 Mar 2021, at 20:23, Felix Natter <fnatter@gmx.net> wrote:
>>
>> ?...
>>
>> Now I would like to wrap the third line to ease editing (but without
>> the intention of changing the layout):
>>
>> * one * two * A very very... long line
>

> I don’t think this is possible. The line break will end the wikitext
> list. What about using HTML ul and li tags, or just resizing the
> window?

<ul> and <li> would work, but is not so nice.

Resizing the window would work for reading, but not editing:
If I have:

* one
* two
* a very very very very very very very very very very long line....

then the edit window has a (horinzontal) scrollbar, and the long
line extends to the very right. Needless to say, this is very
hard to edit.

There must be some solution to this?

Many Thanks and Best Regards,
Felix