Mailing List Archive

Additional footer links in 1.35
Hello

I'm trying to add a link in the footer by adding the example in [1] to my
LocalSettings.php.
Unfortunately it doesn't work and I have no clue how to work with the
information given in [1] nor in the error messages.

The errors are:
PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'public' (T_PUBLIC), expecting end of
file in /etc/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php on line 186
PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'WebRequest' not found in
/usr/share/mediawiki/includes/HeaderCallback.php:63\nStack trace:\n#0 [internal
function]: MediaWiki\\HeaderCallback::callback()\n#1 {main}\n thrown in
/usr/share/mediawiki/includes/HeaderCallback.php on line 63

I'm very new to Mediawiki and the information in the documentation feels quite
overwhelming. Although there is much written in great detail I'm having a hard
time putting it into perspective. I don't know what to learn first to make this
work.

It would be encouraging if you could give me a tip or two on how to approach
this problem. And maybe, if you feel generous, outline the process of adding the
example link.

Mediawiki 1.35, Vector

Kind regards
Noob

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Hooks/SkinAddFooterLinks

Re: Additional footer links in 1.35 [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 2:31 PM Noob <
mediawiki_noob_20201228@ito.in-berlin.de> wrote:

> The errors are:
> PHP Parse error: syntax error, unexpected 'public' (T_PUBLIC), expecting
> end of
> file in /etc/mediawiki/LocalSettings.php on line 186

I think "public static function" goes inside classes, and in
LocalSettings.php just "function" might work. That gets rid of the error,
but I haven't upgraded to 1.35 so can't check whether the code works.

> PHP Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Class 'WebRequest' not found in
> /usr/share/mediawiki/includes/HeaderCallback.php:63\nStack trace:\n#0
> [internal
> function]: MediaWiki\\HeaderCallback::callback()\n#1 {main}\n thrown in
> /usr/share/mediawiki/includes/HeaderCallback.php on line 63

This might disappear when the other error does but the same error appeared
here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Topic:W02ztr7ierd0ff9l

Best wishes

Jonathan
Re: Additional footer links in 1.35 [ In reply to ]
Hello

and thank you, Jonathan, for your suggestion.

To make the example [1] work in LocalSettings.php I had to use the following code:

$wgHooks['SkinAddFooterLinks'][] = function( $skin, $key, &$footerlinks ) {
if ( $key === 'places' ) {
$footerlinks['test1'] = '<A href=#>Test Link 1</a>';
$footerlinks['test2'] = '<A href=#>Test Link 2</a>';
}
};

Kind regards
N.