Thanks!

Sam Reed

[1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Version_lifecycle
Re: MediaWiki 1.34 is End of Life [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 5:31 PM Sam Reed <reedy@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> As per the MediaWiki version lifecycle,[1] I would like to announce the formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.34 as of today, Monday November 30, 2020.
>
> This means that MediaWiki 1.34 will no longer receive maintenance or security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you continue to use it.
>
> It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.35, the current Long Term Support (LTS) version which is not due to become EOL until September 2023. The legacy Long Term Support version of MediaWiki, MediaWiki 1.31, is older and downgrading is not supported.
>
> MediaWiki 1.35 bumps the required PHP version from 7.2.9 in 1.34 (which is unsupported upstream), to PHP 7.3.19 or later.

CentOS 7 recently bumped PHP to version 7.3.20 when the SCL is
enabled. CentOS 7 users with SCL enabled should be OK to migrate to
Mediawiki 1.35.

Also see https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=17826.

Jeff

Re: MediaWiki 1.34 is End of Life [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 6:26 PM Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 5:31 PM Sam Reed <reedy@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> >
> > As per the MediaWiki version lifecycle,[1] I would like to announce the formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.34 as of today, Monday November 30, 2020.
> >
> > This means that MediaWiki 1.34 will no longer receive maintenance or security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you continue to use it.
> >
> > It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.35, the current Long Term Support (LTS) version which is not due to become EOL until September 2023. The legacy Long Term Support version of MediaWiki, MediaWiki 1.31, is older and downgrading is not supported.
> >
> > MediaWiki 1.35 bumps the required PHP version from 7.2.9 in 1.34 (which is unsupported upstream), to PHP 7.3.19 or later.
>
> CentOS 7 recently bumped PHP to version 7.3.20 when the SCL is
> enabled. CentOS 7 users with SCL enabled should be OK to migrate to
> Mediawiki 1.35.
>
> Also see https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=17826.

My bad... I just tested CentOS 7 with SCL in my test environment. The
PHP changes for CentOS 7 with SCL has not landed in production. It is
still providing the down-level version of PHP.

$ php --version
PHP 7.3.11 (cli) (built: Dec 10 2019 16:14:50) ( NTS )
Copyright (c) 1997-2018 The PHP Group

You should not upgrade to Mediawiki 1.35.

Jeff

Re: MediaWiki 1.34 is End of Life [ In reply to ]
On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 11:28 PM Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 6:26 PM Jeffrey Walton <noloader@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 5:31 PM Sam Reed <reedy@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > As per the MediaWiki version lifecycle,[1] I would like to announce the formal end of life (EOL) of MediaWiki 1.34 as of today, Monday November 30, 2020.
> > >
> > > This means that MediaWiki 1.34 will no longer receive maintenance or security backports. It is therefore strongly discouraged that you continue to use it.
> > >
> > > It is recommended to upgrade to MediaWiki 1.35, the current Long Term Support (LTS) version which is not due to become EOL until September 2023. The legacy Long Term Support version of MediaWiki, MediaWiki 1.31, is older and downgrading is not supported.
> > >
> > > MediaWiki 1.35 bumps the required PHP version from 7.2.9 in 1.34 (which is unsupported upstream), to PHP 7.3.19 or later.
> >
> > CentOS 7 recently bumped PHP to version 7.3.20 when the SCL is
> > enabled. CentOS 7 users with SCL enabled should be OK to migrate to
> > Mediawiki 1.35.
> >
> > Also see https://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=17826.
>
> My bad... I just tested CentOS 7 with SCL in my test environment. The
> PHP changes for CentOS 7 with SCL has not landed in production. It is
> still providing the down-level version of PHP.

Red Hat released the PHP 7.3.20 update to production today. It looks
like it is safe to migrate to Mediawiki 1.35.