Mailing List Archive

New Wikipedia interface, is it the right place to ask?
Hello,

I noticed that recently the interface of the french wikipedia had changed. Surprisingly, it doesn't seem to be the case on the english wikipedia.
Is it the right place here to make some remarks about it?

Thanks

Pascal

----- End forwarded message -----

Re: New Wikipedia interface, is it the right place to ask? [ In reply to ]
Hi there.
Try to uncheck "Use Legacy Vector" on
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-rendering.
Igal (User:IKhitron)

??????? ??? ??, 19 ????? 2020 ?-19:21 ??? ?Pascal GREGIS?? <?grapos@free.fr
??>:?

Re: New Wikipedia interface, is it the right place to ask? [ In reply to ]
Yes, it's kind of OK to talk about it here, although this list is usually
more about MediaWiki in general, and not necessarily about how it's used on
Wikimedia projects.

The French Wikipedia is indeed one of the few Wikimedia wikis in which the
new skin is enabled by default (and it can be disabled). It will probably
gradually be enabled in more wikis by default, including English, but this
is up to the product manager.

The main entry point to the information about the project is
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Desktop_Improvements . People
are commenting on the talk page there and the developers are replying, so
that would probably be the best place to discuss it.

--
Amir Elisha Aharoni · ?????? ????????? ??????????
http://aharoni.wordpress.com

??????? ??? ??, 19 ????? 2020 ?-19:22 ??? ?Pascal GREGIS?? <?grapos@free.fr
??>:?

Re: New Wikipedia interface, is it the right place to ask? [ In reply to ]
Ba Menda via MediaWiki-l a écrit, le mardi 20 octobre 2020 à 15:13:51 :
> i don't know what you're talking about
That is normal, I hadn't asked my question.

I wrote it on the talk page indicated by Amir Aharoni, thanks for the link!
I copy it here, just so that you know what I'm talking about, no special need to reply :

I'm blind and using lynx.
So, first of all, I would like to thank mediawiki developers for the great level of accessibility of wikimedia.
Then you may place yourself in the context of non-visual rendering and no fast track to browse the screen with the eyes but search line by line for the relevant content.

With the old skin, in this context, the content used to start on the first screen, not right at the beginning nor at the end of it, so it required some research to find the exact place, but it was always on the first screen.

With the new skin, it starts further, often on the fifth screen, which means I have to pres 4 times on PageDown to go on the screen where the article begins and then browse line by line with my braille device to find the exact place.
Pressing 4 times PageDown isn't a problem in itself, although it's less friendly than before, but the article doesn't always begin in the 5th screen. For example, on the French Wikipedia, if I open the page "Jimi Hendrix", it starts on the 12th screen, so it starts to make it painful to find the beginning of the article, because we never exactly know.

I probably could change this behaviour in my preferences, but, will it work if I'm not logged in? and I think it could be solved another way.

Indeed, I wanted to use the "Aller au contenu" ("Go to content") link, which points to
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix#content
but it just brings me to the very beginning of the page.
If there is a way to make this link work, with lynx, it would be, for me at least, for others I hope, an even more convenient way than with the old skin.

Pascal