this appears to have been broken, Is there any way to define custom
language highlighting?

Thanks
Re: Syntax Highlighter question [ In reply to ]
SyntaxHighlight changed rendering libraries from Geshi a few years ago to
Pygments.

Information on how to write custom lexers (custom language highlighters) in
Pygments can be found here: https://pygments.org/docs/lexerdevelopment/

Re: Syntax Highlighter question [ In reply to ]
Thanks, do we have any documentation for how to do this in the context of a
mediawiki installation? I'm hesitant to recommend dumping files into the
server's /bin or equivalent. Id much rather keep those changes confined to
the user space