Mailing List Archive

Archiving Wikis at the Internet Archive by Wikiteam
Haven't seen a mention on this listserv of the Wikiteam's efforts
to archive Wikis of all kinds on the Internet Archive.

https://archive.org/details/wikiteam

They seem to have been very active from 2011-2014 with less activity
now.

https://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=WikiTeam

https://github.com/WikiTeam/wikiteam

Thoughts?

Seems like a good way to save endangered wikis, and they could use
some volunteers.

Madeline

Archiving Wikis at the Internet Archive by Wikiteam [ In reply to ]
Madeline, thank you for informing list members of this project. What they
are doing sounds like a good idea. There's more information at
https://www.archiveteam.org/ . The software used for uploading a Wiki is
named Archive Team Warrior. It can be downloaded from
https://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=ArchiveTeam_Warrior .

Henrik Thiil Nielsen
Re: Archiving Wikis at the Internet Archive by Wikiteam [ In reply to ]
WikiTeam is connected to the ArchiveTeam, but we use our own software:
https://www.archiveteam.org/index.php?title=WikiTeam
https://github.com/WikiTeam/wikiteam

The reason is that wikis, and specifically MediaWiki, provide open
formats and protocols which help export and import, unlike the general
web which can only be archived by some generic-purpose HTML format (WARC).

Federico