Mailing List Archive

EMWCon Spring 2020 Announcement + Call for Presentations
ATTENTION MEDIAWIKI ADMINS, DEVELOPERS, AND USERS!

APRIL 1-3, 2020 --- SANDUSKY, OHIO USA

We are excited to announce EMWCon Spring 2020, the Enterprise MediaWiki Conference [0], happening from April 1-3 in Sandusky, Ohio USA. The conference will have two days of talks followed by a one day Create Camp. There will be many opportunities to interact with others using and developing MediaWiki.

Quick Link: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/EMWCon_Spring_2020

== WHAT TO DO RIGHT NOW ==

If you know you're going to attend:
1. Please add your name to the unofficial attendance list [4] and watch that page for more detail on registration.
2. Book your room today [3]
3. Registration for EMWCon is coming soon, so WATCH the EMWCon Spring 2020 page to get notifications of updates in advance of future announcements.

== IF YOU'D LIKE TO PROPOSE A TALK ==

Please propose your talk on the event page [1] as soon as possible, including a title, a brief description, and your name.
* If your presentation is accepted, we'll contact you to get a short abstract of your talk
* Check out the "CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS" section below for more information

TO LEARN MORE ABOUT PREVIOUS EMW CONFERENCES, PLEASE SEE [2]

If you have any questions please feel free to email me at:
* richard.k.evans@nasa.gov

Thank you for your interest and I hope to see you in April 2020!!!

Sincerely,
The EMWCon 2020 organizing committee
* Richard Evans (General Chair)
* Yaron Koren (Registration Chair and Principal Sponsor)
* Cindy Cicalese (Program Chair)
* Others to be announced (let us know if you want to be part of the organizing team)

== CALL FOR PRESENTATIONS ==

If you are using MediaWiki + some important combination of extensions, we would love to have you as a speaker.

We are looking for speakers to provide 20 minute talks that address any combination of the following questions:
* Tell us about your enterprise wiki application -- What version are you running? Which extensions matter most to you?
* Tell us what business domain it serves -- Private Industry? Non-Profit? Government?
* Tell us what you use it for and how - Content Management? Documentation? Resource Planning? Compliance?
* Tell us what technical and implementation successes and challenges can you tell us about? - Availability? Confidentiality? Integrity?
* Tell us what cultural successes and challenges can you tell us about? - Reach? Engagement? Training?
* Tell us what administration and lifecycle successes and challenges can you tell us about?
* Tell us how MediaWiki fits in to your organization's mission and vision and what your plans are for your MediaWiki site going forward

All presentations will be recorded and made available after the conference.

== FUN FACTS ABOUT EMWCon 2020 ==

* This is the 5th meeting of this group, however it is the 1st time we will be meeting in an actual large-scale conference venue
* "The Kalahari" in Sandusky is an all-in-one, family-friendly hotel-resort-conference venue.
* Conference attendees will get family sized rooms at discounted rate of ~ $105 US per night (versus the normal > $200 advertised resort rates)
* Conference attendees and their families will get full-run of the world's largest indoor water park included with their room bookings
* Sandusky is known as "The vacation capital of the north"
** ref: https://www.shoresandislands.com/local/central-shores
** The conference venue is located across the street from NASA's Plum Brook Station, where NASA Orion Spacecraft is presently being tested for the Artemis-1 mission to the moon.

== NASA TOUR ==

A tour of NASA's Plum Brook Station is being organized and will be included with the general registration at no extra charge.

* ref 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s39Kl0ruj1Y&t=1m26s
* ref 2: https://www.nasa.gov/feature/glenn/2019/orion-to-face-simulated-rigors-of-space-in-last-major-testing-before-artemis-i

== References ==
* [0] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/EMWCon_Spring_2020
* [1] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/EMWCon_Spring_2020#Talks
* [2] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/EMWCon
* [3] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/EMWCon_Spring_2020#Accommodations
* [4] https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/EMWCon_Spring_2020#Unofficial_conference_sign-up

/Rich Evans
https://riot.im/app/#/user/@revansx:matrix.org

Re: EMWCon Spring 2020 Announcement + Call for Presentations [ In reply to ]
Hi, I was wondering, when would I have to book the hotel by to get that
rate?

Also, I notice Sandusky seems to be a bit difficult to get to. Google seems
to suggest I should take a airplane to Cleaveland, and then take a 3am
amtrack train (no reasonable time choices) from there to Sandusky. Is that
really the best travel option?

--
Brian

Re: EMWCon Spring 2020 Announcement + Call for Presentations [ In reply to ]
After more googling I found that greyhound offers more reasonable time
buses (12:30pm). Anyways, more info on recommendations on transportation
would be appreciated :)

Re: EMWCon Spring 2020 Announcement + Call for Presentations [ In reply to ]
Hi Brian,

For the hotel: there's no hard deadline by which hotel rooms have to be
reserved, though earlier is better. We currently have a block of rooms
assigned to us - if the demand exceeds that, then we can get more, unless
they run out. Which apparently is more likely to happen on the Friday night
after the conference. (We have rooms blocked for Friday night as well.) But
earlier is safer.

I agree that the conference page should have more information about this,
and about transportation options.

-Yaron

Re: EMWCon Spring 2020 Announcement + Call for Presentations [ In reply to ]
As much as I hate to recommend cars, Ohio is incredibly car-centric, so a
rental car is probably your best bet. Public transportation in Ohio is
sporadic and inefficient. It takes less than an hour to get to Sandusky
from Cleveland Airport, whereas the trip on public transport could easily
take several times that when you factor in getting to the Greyhound stop
from Cleveland Airport and getting to the hotel from the Greyhound stop in
Sandusky.

To minimise cost and keep it more economical, perhaps you could coordinate
arrival/departure times on the wiki to try to group yourselves up and share
the ride?

Dan (an honorary Buckeye)