Mailing List Archive

User name "TammieDeLittle4" is usable, cannot create an anonymous actor for it.
Hi Everyone,

We are getting about 11,000 of these due to a spammer getting in a
couple of years ago:

... log_id=4200
... log_id=4300
... log_id=4400
User name "Awpgkcm9ly0hjqagqrpl" is usable, cannot create an anonymous
actor for it. Run maintenance/cleanupUsersWithNoId.php to fix this
situation.

$ grep -c 'anon' mw.txt
11748

I've tried manually cleaning them, but cleanupUsersWithNoId.php seems
to be missing them:

Error:
==========

# php maintenance/cleanupUsersWithNoId.php --dbuser=<user>
--dbpass=<passwd> --force --conf=LocalSettings.php

Notice: Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in
/var/www/html/w/includes/GlobalFunctions.php on line 1388
Notice: Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in
/var/www/html/w/includes/GlobalFunctions.php on line 1388
Param prefix required!

Cleans up tables that have valid usernames with no user ID

Usage: php cleanupUsersWithNoId.php
[--assign|--batch-size|--conf|--dbgroupdefault|--dbpass|--dbuser|--force|--globals|--help|--memory-limit|--mwdebug|--prefix|--profiler|--quiet|--server|--table|--wiki]

Try again:
==========

# php maintenance/cleanupUsersWithNoId.php --dbuser=<user>
--dbpass=<passwd> --prefix=* --force --conf=LocalSettings.php

Notice: Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in
/var/www/html/w/includes/GlobalFunctions.php on line 1388
Notice: Undefined index: SERVER_NAME in
/var/www/html/w/includes/GlobalFunctions.php on line 1388

But the entries persist.

I think I am not getting the options right. Here are the docs, but
they have not been helpful:
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:CleanupUsersWithNoId.php .

Does anyone know what switches I should be using to clean the unwanted users?

Jeff

Re: User name "TammieDeLittle4" is usable, cannot create an anonymous actor for it. [ In reply to ]
Jeff,
I've tried in the maintenance directory (a minute ago):

vmp@tunearch:/var/www/w/maintenance# php cleanupUsersWithNoId.php --dbuser=<user> --dbpass=<pass> --force --prefix=* --conf=../LocalSettings.php
vmp@tunearch:/var/www/w/maintenance# php update.php

... and it works, at least for me with:
MediaWiki 1.33.1 (d35fba2) 15:11, December 17, 2019
PHP 7.2.17-0ubuntu0.18.04.1 (apache2handler)
MariaDB 10.1.38-MariaDB-0ubuntu0.18.04.1

Valerio Pelliccioni
W: https://tunearch.org/

Re: User name "TammieDeLittle4" is usable, cannot create an anonymous actor for it. [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Dec 19, 2019 at 3:31 PM Valerio Pelliccioni <vmp@silkwood.it> wrote:

> Jeff,
> I've tried in the maintenance directory (a minute ago):
>
> vmp@tunearch:/var/www/w/maintenance# php cleanupUsersWithNoId.php --dbuser=<user> --dbpass=<pass> --force --prefix=* --conf=../LocalSettings.php
> vmp@tunearch:/var/www/w/maintenance# php update.php
>
> ... and it works, at least for me with:

Thanks. Where are they coming from? maintenance/update.php is finding
them, but I can't.

Here is what I see when examining the MySQL tables.

MariaDB [my_wiki]> select count(*) from wikicryptopp_user;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 7 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [my_wiki]> select count(*) from wikicryptopp_actor;
+----------+
| count(*) |
+----------+
| 13 |
+----------+
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

MariaDB [my_wiki]> select count(*) from wikicryptopp_user_groups;
Re: User name "TammieDeLittle4" is usable, cannot create an anonymous actor for it. [ In reply to ]
Jeff,
given that 'BrownHairedGirl' was one of my 'spammers', you can do something like this:

MariaDB [tta]> select rev_user, rev_user_text FROM revision WHERE rev_user_text = 'BrownHairedGirl';

and you'll get something like this:

| rev_user | rev_user_text |
| 0 | BrownHairedGirl |
| 0 | BrownHairedGirl |
| 0 | BrownHairedGirl |
| 0 | BrownHairedGirl |
| 0 | BrownHairedGirl |
| 0 | BrownHairedGirl |

Hope this helps!

Valerio Pelliccioni
W: https://tunearch.org

Re: User name "TammieDeLittle4" is usable, cannot create an anonymous actor for it. [ In reply to ]
On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 3:17 AM Valerio Pelliccioni <vmp@silkwood.it> wrote:

> given that 'BrownHairedGirl' was one of my 'spammers', you can do something like this:
>
> MariaDB [tta]> select rev_user, rev_user_text FROM revision WHERE rev_user_text = 'BrownHairedGirl';
>
> and you'll get something like this:
>
> | rev_user | rev_user_text |
> | 0 | BrownHairedGirl |
> | 0 | BrownHairedGirl |
> | 0 | BrownHairedGirl |
> | 0 | BrownHairedGirl |
> | 0 | BrownHairedGirl |
> | 0 | BrownHairedGirl |

Thanks.

We found them in the logging table. We deleted the spammer's log entries with:

DELETE FROM wikicryptopp_logging
WHERE NOT EXISTS(SELECT NULL
FROM wikicryptopp_user users
WHERE users.user_name = log_user_text);

The query grabs the user's name from the logging table, and deletes
the row in the logging table if the user's name does not exist in the
user table.

For our wiki, the query deleted about 17,000 entries. After the query
cleanupUsersWithNoId.php ran as expected.

What got us in this state was, a spammer got in. We deleted all users
from the user table with id > 7. We had to recreate a few admin's
accounts, but it nuked all the spam accounts. So users table was clean
but logging table was dirty.

Jeff