Mailing List Archive

Help about running several wikis on a same installation
Hello everyone,

I have troubles running several wikis on a same installation.
In fact I cannot use neither symlinks nor subdomain redirections to do it. So I have tried a hand-mde solution with a copy of index.php.
i.e. : I want to run 4 wikis, that I have called :
- andra
- anthony
- nita
- crep

To go to andra for example I type the address :
pascal.lautre.net/w/andra.php

and I have created a LocalSettings-$wikiname.php for each of the 4 wikis, setting a switch in the main LocalSettings.php to include the appropriate one.
But I've got all my vairables and paths erased when the wiki redirects, it calls index.php/Accueil for example and I have no way to know what was the original call.
I have even tried to use a hook, the BeforePageRedirect hook, but it worked only for loading the Accueil page (I guess it would be called HOme in english, or Welcome), after, I have the problem again when I try to connect, the link points to index.php instead of andra.php.

Here is the code of my LocalSettings.php:

<?php

$ppw = "/w";
if (! isset($pascal_request_uri)) {
$pascal_request_uri = split("/", $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI'])[2];
}

$wgHooks['BeforePageRedirect'][] = function ($out, &$redirect, &$code) {
GLOBAL $pascal_request_uri;
GLOBAL $ppw;

$redirect = ereg_replace("/index.php", "/$pascal_request_uri", $redirect);
return true;
};

switch ($pascal_request_uri) {
case "andra.php":
case "anthony.php":
case "nita.php":
case "crep.php":
require_once("LocalSettings-$pascal_request_uri");
break;
default:
echo "<p>NO wiki specified. please choose a wiki, ex: <br>\n";
echo $_SERVER['SERVER_NAME'] . "$ppw/idees.php<br>\n";
exit(1);
}

Thank you for any help!

Pascal

Re: Help about running several wikis on a same installation [ In reply to ]
It would be much better if you could use separate directories instead of
renaming index.php. Renaming index.php is not really a supported
configuration. There's the obvious problem of how do other scripts, like
load.php know what wiki is being referred to.

If you're really intent on doing this, You can try ensuring that $wgScript
is set appropriately for each wiki (E.g. $wgScript = '/w/andra.php'; for
the andra one). However, there are probably places (especially for
extensions) where index.php is hardcoded, and as i mentioned before, there
are other entry points then index.php like load.php and api.php which will
be confused by this. I expect that this setup will break in subtle ways.

You would also have to ensure there are separate image directories for each
wiki or mediawiki will get confused.

p.s. ereg_replace is being removed from php, you should use preg_replace
instead.

--
bawolff

Re: Help about running several wikis on a same installation [ In reply to ]
Thank you Brian for the explanations. I d'ont have the courage anymore to track down all the hardcoded index.php, and if you say it may be fragile, I think I have no other option but to lose 1GB of my available space copying mediawiki directory 4 or 5 times.
It would be nice however if possible to have other options for multiwikis, as all hostings don't allow symlinks or subdomains / domain aliases.

For ereg_replace, I don't know why preg_replace gave horrible results on my server, but anyway, I should'nt need it anymore.

Pascal

Re: Help about running several wikis on a same installation [ In reply to ]
If symlinks aren't an option (It would be weird for a hosting provider to
disallow that), you can probably use dummy php files that just load the
real version of themselves.

e.g. Have MediaWiki in a directory named mediawiki

then in a different directory named andra have a file named index.php
containing only
<?php
require "../mediawiki/index.php";

And do similar for load.php, and any other files ending in .php that are
top-level in MediaWiki (e.g. api.php, load.php,etc. But only the top level
ones, don't worry about the subdirectories).
Then do the same thing for the other wikis you want to install in other
directories.

This should mostly just work (WMF wikis actually do something kind of like
this, but for different reasons), although you will need to adjust
$wgExtensionAssetsPath to be 'mediawiki/extensions'; If you enable uploads,
you will need to make sure each wiki has a unique upload directory.

--
Brian

Re: Help about running several wikis on a same installation [ In reply to ]
You could use the Meza [1] project to install your wiki environment for
you. Meza does wiki farms. Meza includes essentials like Visual Editor and
Elasticsearch so you can get down to using your wikis instead of building
them.

1. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Meza
Full disclosure: I have contributed patches to Meza

~ Greg

eQuality Technology

*Let's work together*

https://equality-tech.com
follow us: https://twitter.com/eQualityTech
*creators of https://QualityBox.us <https://QualityBox.us> *

Re: Help about running several wikis on a same installation [ In reply to ]
And I would need to have only dummy php files in my andra etc directory? Plus a real LocalSettings.php of course. Will they load the good json files etc?

Thanks for the tip.

Pascal

Re: Help about running several wikis on a same installation [ In reply to ]
I should definitely have checked all this before installing, but I was such in a hury. As a result I lost hole days trying to work around. Halas now is a bit late for me to invest time in something new, unless it is really superquick to install and learn to use, but things are rarely superquick for blind people with lynx, and if I was sure It won't mess up with my first installations.

Thanks

Pascal

Re: Help about running several wikis on a same installation [ In reply to ]
You would only need the dummy files. All of them would probably load the
LocalSettings.php in the mediawiki directory, but you can have a switch in
it to have different config for each wiki.