Mailing List Archive

Managing data in MediaWiki: Semantic MediaWiki, Wikibase and Cargo
Dear all,

I started an article on MediaWiki.org regarding options to manage data within MediaWiki inlcuding a comparison table between Semantic MediaWiki, Wikibase and Cargo.

Feel free to contribute or share:
[ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Managing_data_in_MediaWiki | https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Managing_data_in_MediaWiki ]

The goal is for MediaWiki users to know the basic differences and to help them deciding which option to chose for their usecase.

cheers,
Bernhard

--
Mag. Bernhard Krabina
KDZ - Zentrum für Verwaltungsforschung

- Offener Haushalt - Transparente Gemeindefinanzen:
http://www.offenerhaushalt.at

- Wien Geschichte Wiki:
http://www.geschichtewiki.wien.gv.at

- Open Government Vorgehensmodell
http://www.kdz.eu/de/open-government-vorgehensmodell

Re: Managing data in MediaWiki: Semantic MediaWiki, Wikibase and Cargo [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Tue, 2019-10-15 at 08:02 +0200, Krabina Bernhard wrote:
> I started an article on MediaWiki.org regarding options to manage
> data within MediaWiki inlcuding a comparison table between Semantic
> MediaWiki, Wikibase and Cargo.
>
> Feel free to contribute or share:
> [ https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Managing_data_in_MediaWiki |
> https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Managing_data_in_MediaWiki ]
>
> The goal is for MediaWiki users to know the basic differences and to
> help them deciding which option to chose for their usecase.

From taking a quick look, I'm mostly confused by that page...

* Everything is "data" so the page title feels misleading. Maybe you
meant something like structured data?
* Why is it under the "Manual" namespace? It has no instructions... :)
It isn't linked from another Manual: page (but that's because I
reverted the link on "mw:Manual:What_is_MediaWiki?" as it feels too
specific for such a high-level overview page)
* Why does it list "Stable releases"? Many projects don't create
tarballs anymore but allow creating packages on the fly from stable
Git branches. Stating there are no stable releases is misleading and
could sound like a project is unstable which is not true.
* Why does it list "Upgrade instructions" (without references so I'm
not sure where to find them), and why is that a relevant criterion?
* Why does "Community" list irrelevant "watchers" in Github, when
development does not happen in Github for two out of three projects?
Where do these numbers come from, as I cannot see them on Github?
* What are judgments like "easy" under "Installation" based on?
* Do you plan to regularly update all those numbers and maintain that
wiki page for years to come...?

Cheers,
andre
--
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Managing data in MediaWiki: Semantic MediaWiki, Wikibase and Cargo [ In reply to ]
Dear Andre,

well thank you for this welcoming feedback :-/

I started this page, because I continiously meet people who have no knowledge about SMW, Wikibase or Cargo and I have recieved positive feedback on the attempt to write about how to manage data in MediaWiki

> From taking a quick look, I'm mostly confused by that page...
>
> * Everything is "data" so the page title feels misleading. Maybe you
> meant something like structured data?

Yes, an in the introduction I also talk about structured data in contrast to just text.

Because I like the idea of the Manual pages that are now at mediawiki.org with the intent to guide people not very knowledgeable about mediawikis strengths ans weaknesses and I thought this fits in well there.

> * Why does it list "Stable releases"? Many projects don't create
> tarballs anymore but allow creating packages on the fly from stable
> Git branches. Stating there are no stable releases is misleading and
> could sound like a project is unstable which is not true.

Mentioning the stable releases is a hint for code maturity. Of course it does not mean that others with lesser (or no) stable releases is unstable.

> * Why does it list "Upgrade instructions" (without references so I'm
> not sure where to find them), and why is that a relevant criterion?

Good hint, I will try to find the references and add them.

> * Why does "Community" list irrelevant "watchers" in Github, when
> development does not happen in Github for two out of three projects?
> Where do these numbers come from, as I cannot see them on Github?

Good question. I wanted to find somewhat comparable numbers. Maybe you have a better idea? I did not find any suitable number on phabricator, but I am not very fluent with fabricator...

> * What are judgments like "easy" under "Installation" based on?
Based on the knowlege that many fail on attempting to install Wikibase (including myself). I am just attending a workshop organized by Wikimedia Autria, where somone teaches others how to install it. With Cargo and SMW it is just a regular extension installation.

> * Do you plan to regularly update all those numbers and maintain that
> wiki page for years to come...?

Well as mediawiki.org is a wiki, everybody is invited to joing in in updating and extending the page.

I am planning to use the page and update it, but of course I cannot make any promiese.

cheers,
Bernhard