Mailing List Archive

three tips hoped
Hi!
For more than a decade I publish my own working groups, personnal
uses, etc. wikis. I have hundreds of "bliks": I mean a mediawiki
under SQLite + mailman + side services. Each wiki under SQLite can
be easily transfered to other machines (privare or on line) and
replicated on several local machines (for private use and backup) in
using dropbox. The configuration is set-up with a script creating the
directories, most of them being symbolic links to a main wiki
configuration, one per machine.

This may sound crazy but it works well. Now, not being a PHP nor SQL
programmer I would need help on three issues:

* what is the command to know the mediawiki version I use?
* on different "bliks", i.e. these SQLite supported wikis, I need to
get the same page (a glossary) to be locally present. Is there a way
to maintain a page on a single SQLight wiki and to get it replicated
on others (I just need the current version of the page, not its history) ?
* is there a command I could use (also in a script) to enter
references to pdf or image files I could then click form wikipages.

Thanks a lot for any help.
jfcm

Re: three tips hoped [ In reply to ]
To get the version, the easiest is just looking at special:version.

From a script you could probably do something like

echo 'echo $wgVersion' | php eval.php

If you are in the maintenance directory. Or just grep
includes/DefaultSettings.php

Alternatively you can use the mediawiki api (possibly using curl if from
the command line) e.g.
https://www.mediawiki.org/w/api.php?action=query&meta=siteinfo

For replicating id suggest special:import and special:export (or the api or
maintenance script equivs)

You can edit pages from script by using edit.php maintenance script (or of
course the api & curl)

--
Brian

For replicating a page i would s

Re: three tips hoped [ In reply to ]
On Thu, Sep 26, 2019, 8:02 PM JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com> wrote:

> Hi!
> For more than a decade I publish my own working groups, personnal
> uses, etc. wikis. I have hundreds of "bliks": I mean a mediawiki
> under SQLite + mailman + side services. Each wiki under SQLite can
> be easily transfered to other machines (privare or on line) and
> replicated on several local machines (for private use and backup) in
> using dropbox. The configuration is set-up with a script creating the
> directories, most of them being symbolic links to a main wiki
> configuration, one per machine.
>
> This may sound crazy but it works well. Now, not being a PHP nor SQL
> programmer I would need help on three issues:
>
> * what is the command to know the mediawiki version I use?

Visit the Special:Version page on your wiki.

* on different "bliks", i.e. these SQLite supported wikis, I need to
> get the same page (a glossary) to be locally present. Is there a way
> to maintain a page on a single SQLight wiki and to get it replicated
> on others (I just need the current version of the page, not its history) ?

You want the Lingo extension (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:Lingo)
and a default database that has the content.

* is there a command I could use (also in a script) to enter
> references to pdf or image files I could then click form wikipages.

I'm not sure what you're asking for here. But if you install the PdfHandler
extension (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:PdfHandler), you'll
have previews of your PDF files. If you're trying to enter references to
these files from the page editor, then all the editor's I'm aware of
support inserting files.

~ Greg
Re: three tips hoped [ In reply to ]
> From: JFC Morfin <jefsey@jefsey.com <mailto:jefsey@jefsey.com>>:
>
> * on different "bliks", i.e. these SQLite supported wikis, I need to
> get the same page (a glossary) to be locally present. Is there a way
> to maintain a page on a single SQLight wiki and to get it replicated
> on others (I just need the current version of the page, not its history) ?

SQLite is not a multi-user database.

You *could* “replicate” it, which means make a copy, but that won’t allow any changes made to be immediately seen by the other wikis.

It’s a bit of learning, but you might consider switching to MySQL, which is fully multi-user, and which will allow instantly shared content, meaning you could set it up so that any of your wikis could change the page, and that change be instantly seen by all the other wikis.

You *could* set up a trigger that will make copies of that page whenever it is changed, but with no PHP experience, it might also take a bit of learning.

From what you’ve said you want, I think switching to a multi-user database might buy you more than patching in some one-page replication scheme.

Jan