Mailing List Archive

Question / Custom Design / Tollbar
Hello @all,

I have a Problem with a custom Design of a Wiki. If this here is not the
right place for me to ask, please apologize.

We have a Website that uses a Design with a sticky Toolbar on top of the
page. Integration is fine but if you click on a link inside the Page
Navigation to reach some Anchor point the page jumps ?to high? because it
does not ?know? there is this sticky Toolbar and part of the Wiki Text is
hidden behind.

Could anybody give an advice how to tell the Wiki to leave a Space of maybe
100px to the top of the page when jumping? Or any other helpful Idea?

Kind Regards

Martin

Re: Question / Custom Design / Tollbar [ In reply to ]
Hi,

On Sat, 2019-08-24 at 21:30 +0200, Martin Nünning Bittop wrote:
> I have a Problem with a custom Design of a Wiki. If this here is not the
> right place for me to ask, please apologize.
>
> We have a Website that uses a Design with a sticky Toolbar on top of the
> page. Integration is fine but if you click on a link inside the Page
> Navigation to reach some Anchor point the page jumps “to high” because it
> does not “know” there is this sticky Toolbar and part of the Wiki Text is
> hidden behind.

For example the Timeless skin also has a sticky toolbar and there seems
to be no problem with anchors vs hidden content (at least in Firefox):
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:System_administration?useskin=timeless

> Could anybody give an advice how to tell the Wiki to leave a Space of maybe
> 100px to the top of the page when jumping? Or any other helpful Idea?

Hard to say without knowing your HTML/CSS implementation.

Cheers,
andre

--
Andre Klapper (he/him) | Bugwrangler / Developer Advocate
https://blogs.gnome.org/aklapper/

Re: Question / Custom Design / Tollbar [ In reply to ]
Timeless (on master, at least) uses css scroll-padding, which only works
in the most up-to-date browsers (notably firefox and chrome at the
moment). If you need to support older stuff, you'll probably need to
come up with a js solution, unless you're sure you're not going to be
using anything with styled anchors like Cite or the like (at which point
various +padding/-margin anchor hacks and the like would do it more easily).

See: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/CSS_Scroll_Snap

-I

Re: Question / Custom Design / Tollbar [ In reply to ]
Thanks guys... you pointed us into the right direction with the css ... sometimes one just needs another hint :-)

Regards

bittop | I T Lösungen | Inhaber Martin Nünning | Wait z st r . 52a, 24105 K i e l

T e l . +49(0)431 533 21 92 | Fax +49(0)431 533 21 93 | martin@bittop.de | www.bittop.de

Steuernummer: 46 035 812 872 | BLZ21050170, Konto?Nr. 1000839157, Förde Sparkasse