Mailing List Archive

PHP error
Hi list,

I have been using MediaWiki for a day now and I just added my main page.
The first time saving was ok, but now everytime I want to edit a new
page and press save or preview I get this PHP error:

*Fatal error*: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module. in
*/home/virtual/site155/fst/var/www/html/codeshop/wiki/includes/User.php*
on line *146

*This is some file I didn't edited, so I am sure the error is not caused
by me.When this happens, everything locks up and I Cannot do anything
anymore for this session. Here is some config info maybe it is useful:

Warning: set_time_limit(): Cannot set time limit in safe mode in
/home/virtual/site155/fst/var/www/html/codeshop/wiki/install-utils.inc
on line 26
# PHP 4.3.4 ok
# PHP server API is apache; ok, using pretty URLs (index.php/Page_Title)
# Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
# Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled
if you enable uploads.
# Installation directory:
/home/virtual/site155/fst/var/www/html/codeshop/wiki
# Script URI path: /codeshop/wiki
# MySQL error 1045: Access denied for user: 'root@localhost' (Using
password: NO)
# Trying regular user... ok.
# Connected to database... 3.23.58
# Database solidsteel_nl_-_ourdata exists
# Creating tables... done.
# Initializing data...
# Created sysop account WikiSysop.
# Initialising log pages...
#

Initialising "MediaWiki" namespace...
Reading....done
Setting up....Done
Processing...Done
Writing...Done
Writing to MediaWiki:All_messages
Finished

Creating LocalSettings.php...

Success! Move the LocalSettings.php file into the parent
directory, then follow this link to your wiki.

----

Does anybody have an idea? I am clueless. PHP runs well on the host
site. I have done no shocking stuff to the MediaWiki page.

Regards,
- Jorgen
Re: PHP error [ In reply to ]
Jorgen Bodde wrote:
> *Fatal error*: session_start(): Failed to initialize storage module. in
> */home/virtual/site155/fst/var/www/html/codeshop/wiki/includes/User.php*
> on line *146
[snip]
> Does anybody have an idea? I am clueless. PHP runs well on the host
> site. I have done no shocking stuff to the MediaWiki page.

Several things to check:

* Are you or someone else on the server running Drupal or Squirrelmail
or another package that changes the session method settings?

* Some stuff at http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25876

* Is /tmp writable? Is it full? Has the session.path been set to some
directory that doesn't exist?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: PHP error [ In reply to ]
Hi Brion,

> Several things to check:
>
> * Are you or someone else on the server running Drupal or Squirrelmail
> or another package that changes the session method settings?

I think SquirrelMail runs on the main server because it is a hosted one.
It is not ran on my account but the PHP installation must be global and
having problems with that.

> * Some stuff at http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=25876

Well as it seems it is not much I can do. I have an account on a hosted
site, I cannot alter apache nor php configuration. I can only tell the
guys who maintain it about it, and see what they can come up with. It is
exactly as described in the bug. Pretty random it happens every so other
time

> * Is /tmp writable? Is it full? Has the session.path been set to some
> directory that doesn't exist?

Yep it is writable and empty. Thank you for your pointers Brion, I will
have to see what another Wiki does, and in the meantime discuss this
with my administrator. Unfortunately it happens way too often to be
funny and it is very annoying when you can't save your info.

Just another idea. There is a php nuke script running on there, with
messageboard and all. Could that be the bad guy? I read somewhere that
global settings for sessions should be reset but they are not. Whenever
someone is accessing the board, could it be that my session is screwed up ?

Regards,
- Jorgen

Re: PHP error [ In reply to ]
Jorgen Bodde wrote:
> I think SquirrelMail runs on the main server because it is a hosted one.
> It is not ran on my account but the PHP installation must be global and
> having problems with that.
[snip]
> Just another idea. There is a php nuke script running on there, with
> messageboard and all. Could that be the bad guy? I read somewhere that
> global settings for sessions should be reset but they are not. Whenever
> someone is accessing the board, could it be that my session is screwed up ?

Try adding these lines to your LocalSettings.php and see if it helps:

session_module_name( "files" );
session_save_path( "/tmp" );
session_name( "MediaWikiSession" );

This should reset the session system to use files in the system /tmp
directory (SquirrelMail may be leaving it in a customized mode which
isn't being reset properly when the server process is reused for a
request for your wiki) and use a different cookie name to avoid possible
stomping from other apps using the default.

I'm hoping that being in safe mode won't disable these settings... :P

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: PHP error [ In reply to ]
Hi Brion,

I added them at the bottom of my LocalSettings.php I hope that is the
right place. Anyway I am still getting this error. This is what my
phpinfo gives maybe you can find something that is wrong with it:

http://www.solidsteel.nl/codeshop/phpinfo.php

Your help is very appreciated, I hope I can tackle this problem. I will
have to see if SquirrelMail also runs on my account. I don't use it so
if they are able to remove it I don't want it ..
Regards,
- Jorgen