Mailing List Archive

Incomplete install of 1.3.0... code dies
I've tried repeatedly to install a fresh copy of 1.3.0 on my server, but I
get a very strange problem. I enter the appropriate information into the
fields (no SQL root pw), and click "install". Some text shows up, the
browser indicates "Done", but no LocalSettings.php file is generated, and
when using a manually generated LocalSettings.php, I receive a 404 error
upon access of "index.php/MainPage". This problem occurs whether or not I
delete the tables, delete/re-upload the files, etc. I have set CHMOD 777
onto the /config/ directory as instructed.

PHP version: 4.3.8
MySQL version: 4.0.20-standard-log

This is the output of the install webpage:
- PHP 4.3.8: ok
- Warning: PHP's register_globals option is enabled. MediaWiki will work
correctly, but this setting increases your exposure to potential security
vulnerabilities in PHP-based software running on your server. You should
disable it if you are able.
- PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
- Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.
- PHP's memory_limit is 40M. If this is too low, installation may fail!
- Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
- Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled if
you enable uploads.
- Installation directory: /homepages/45/d95239576/htdocs/mwiki
- Script URI path: /mwiki

Upon reading the source code output of the page, the html abruptly cuts off
at the last entry, no </body> or </html> tag. This must indicate some kind
of crash? Checking tables through phpMyAdmin shows that the relevant SQL
tables have been generated.

I don't mind performing a manual install, if it is at all possible with
1.3.0, but I will need some guidance as to what data needs to be loaded.

Thanks for your help
-Bryan
Re: Incomplete install of 1.3.0... code dies [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 09:46:21 -0700, Bryan Yang <preyx@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've tried repeatedly to install a fresh copy of 1.3.0 on my server, but I
> get a very strange problem. I enter the appropriate information into the
> fields (no SQL root pw), and click "install". Some text shows up, the
> browser indicates "Done", but no LocalSettings.php file is generated, and
> when using a manually generated LocalSettings.php, I receive a 404 error
> upon access of "index.php/MainPage". This problem occurs whether or not I
> delete the tables, delete/re-upload the files, etc. I have set CHMOD 777
> onto the /config/ directory as instructed.

This is rather a long-shot, but have you tried loading just
".../index.php" (as opposed to ".../index.php/Main_Page")? At the very
least, you might get a specific complaint out of PHP, rather than the
404 from Apache (which could just be caused by a lack of URL
rewriting, so that it is unable to convert index.php/foo to
index.php?title=foo).

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: Incomplete install of 1.3.0... code dies [ In reply to ]
Bryan Yang wrote:
> I've tried repeatedly to install a fresh copy of 1.3.0 on my server, but I
> get a very strange problem. I enter the appropriate information into the
> fields (no SQL root pw), and click "install". Some text shows up, the
> browser indicates "Done", but no LocalSettings.php file is generated, and
[snip]
> Upon reading the source code output of the page, the html abruptly
cuts off
> at the last entry, no </body> or </html> tag. This must indicate some
> kind of crash? Checking tables through phpMyAdmin shows that the
> relevant SQL tables have been generated.

Yes, that's pretty suspicious. A successful installation will end with
this text:

Success! Move the LocalSettings.php file into the parent directory,
then follow this link to your wiki.

It would help if you could include the complete output of the
installation process, so we might guess which part of the install was
the last one that said "done".

> when using a manually generated LocalSettings.php, I receive a 404 error
> upon access of "index.php/MainPage". This problem occurs whether or not I
> delete the tables, delete/re-upload the files, etc. I have set CHMOD 777
> onto the /config/ directory as instructed.
[snip]
> - PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)

When using PHP as a CGI module, the index.php/Main_Page style URL *will
not work* without additional configuration (such as setting up
mod_rewrite). Try index.php?title=Main_Page

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Incomplete install of 1.3.0... code dies [ In reply to ]
I tried the "index.php?title=Main_Page" through alteration of the
LocalSettings.php ($wgArticlePath = "{$wgScript}?title=$1";). The page
works, but exactly once. Then every time I attempt to reload the page the
browser. I've since discovered this problem only occurs in IE, I can access
the site fine using Mozilla. It appears that the site is usable besides the
odd IE problem (I may need restart to fix). However, there's another problem
(there always is!).

I am currently stuck with the inability to create new accounts, or even
login to my install-generated sysop account. I receive a " You have not
specified a valid user name. " upon user creation or a " The password you
entered is incorrect." error upon login.

Thanks for the help so far.
-Bryan

PS - Below is a copy of the end of the .html output from the install script
run on my site. The file ends on the last line copied. As I stated before,
no </body> or </html> tags present.

problems.</i></p>

<h2>Checking environment...</h2>
<ul>
<li>PHP 4.3.8: ok</li>
option is enabled.</b> MediaWiki will work correctly, but this setting
increases your exposure to potential security vulnerabilities in PHP-based
software running on your server. <b>You should disable it if you are
able.</b></li>
<li>PHP server API is cgi; using ugly URLs
<li>Have XML / Latin1-UTF-8 conversion support.</li>
may fail!</b> </li>
<li>Have zlib support; enabling output compression.</li>
<li>Found GD graphics library built-in, image thumbnailing will be enabled
if you enable uploads.</li>
<li>Installation directory: