Mailing List Archive

MediaWiki, PHP4, Apache, MySql Segmentation Faults and mysqld error
And another issue concerning my mediawiki :)

Our wiki is running on a Debian 3.1 Kernel 2.4.18 (std.), unstable, with
mysql-server/-stuff, apache and php4, php-mysql (4.3.2) installed with
apt, so this should be installed correctly.
It worked for the first few days without any problems, then more and
more clicks were ignored by wiki, sometimes it didn't even show the main
page.
(no hardware problem, we very often changed it because we assumed that
maybe RAM is not working correctly)

Error messages are mainly

kalliope mysqld[343]: 070811 17:53: 54 Aborted connection 167 to db:
'wikidb' user: 'wikiuser' host: 'localhost' (Got an error reading
communication packets)

[notice] child pid 1071 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

I sometimes got the hint to change register_globals from on to off or
the other way around.
off= less error messages but still loads of them
on= even more :)

So, is there any solution to this?

Best regards!
yours thankfully,

Kristina Rothe
Re: MediaWiki, PHP4, Apache, MySql Segmentation Faults and mysqld error [ In reply to ]
Kristina Rothe wrote:
> (no hardware problem, we very often changed it because we assumed that
> maybe RAM is not working correctly)
>
> Error messages are mainly
>
> kalliope mysqld[343]: 070811 17:53: 54 Aborted connection 167 to db:
> 'wikidb' user: 'wikiuser' host: 'localhost' (Got an error reading
> communication packets)
>
> [notice] child pid 1071 exit signal Segmentation fault (11)

A segmentation fault means either a bug in the program (either MySQL or
PHP/Apache here, I'm not sure which) or that you're having hardware
problems (bad memory, overheating processor, etc).

It's not clear whether the segmentation fault is causing the
communications error or if the communications error is causing an error
condition that leads to a segmentation fault.

Either way, I'd recommend trying something other than Debian-unstable.
Maybe compile current MySQL/PHP/Apache from source just to get different
versions in there.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)