Mailing List Archive

Account Creation Authentification
Hi,
I just set up a Wiki-System for some part of
University and content has to remain internal, so it
would be quite nice, if not everyone is able to see
it.

My first step was to integrate this $wgWhite*-Stuff,
so that an anonymous user is just able to see
Mainpage, Special:Userlogin and Special:Userlogout.

Well. Getting to the "Secret Stuff" remains One Click
Away[tm], as people right now only need to type their
password twice and click on "add account", then they
will be forwarded to whatever they wanted to see.

As a result I would like to know if there is any
possibility that people have to do account REQUESTS
and that I have to confirm those requests (as an
admin) do some kind of authorization. And how I set it
up ;)

Thankfully yours with best regards,

Kristina Rothe

Gesendet von Yahoo! Mail - Jetzt mit 100MB Speicher kostenlos - Hier anmelden: http://mail.yahoo.de
Re: Account Creation Authentification [ In reply to ]
> As a result I would like to know if there is any
> possibility that people have to do account REQUESTS
> and that I have to confirm those requests (as an
> admin) do some kind of authorization. And how I set it
> up ;)

$wgWhitelistAccount = array ('user' => 0, 'sysop' => 1, 'developer' => 1);

Now only sysops (isn't developer obsolete?) can register new users.
But it's all in your LocalSettings.sample

So potential new users can apply per mail.

<couriosity>
I haven't tried to use just an users username in that array yet. Would it
work?
</couriosity>

--tictric

Re: Account Creation Authentification [ In reply to ]
tic@tictric.net wrote:
> $wgWhitelistAccount = array ('user' => 0, 'sysop' => 1, 'developer' => 1);
>
> Now only sysops (isn't developer obsolete?) can register new users.
> But it's all in your LocalSettings.sample
>
> So potential new users can apply per mail.

To clarify: when logged in as a sysop, go to [[Special:Userlogin]]
manually, and you can create a new account from there.

> <couriosity>
> I haven't tried to use just an users username in that array yet. Would
> it work?
> </couriosity>

It _might_ work if you add the username to the user's user_rights field.
Try it and see!

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)