_____________________________________
Mizuho Securities Co, Ltd.
Tel: (03) 5208-2932 (direct)
Re: Pic of the day template not working [ In reply to ]
Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> I have included the following template code but it's not working:
>
> {{pic of the day}}
>
> What I get as output is:
>
> Template:Pic of the day
>
> Did I misunderstand how to use this template properly?

You need to put something in the page [[Template:Pic of the day]]. As
long as it's empty, the wiki will just show a handy link to the template
so you can go right there and put in some text to show.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Pic of the day template not working [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

> You need to put something in the page [[Template:Pic of the day]]. As
> long as it's empty, the wiki will just show a handy link to the template
> so you can go right there and put in some text to show.

Sorry, I must have totally misunderstood the point of this template then.

I thought it would automatically include the picture of the day from a
page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Eloquence) I read:

To include this picture of the day on a page, add the text {{pic of the
day}}

I thought that I could use that template to have a new picture of the
day and quote inserted into my page every day. Is my understand incorrect?

Thanks,

Jc
Re: Pic of the day template not working [ In reply to ]
Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
>> You need to put something in the page [[Template:Pic of the day]]. As
>> long as it's empty, the wiki will just show a handy link to the
>> template so you can go right there and put in some text to show.
>
> Sorry, I must have totally misunderstood the point of this template then.
>
> I thought it would automatically include the picture of the day from a
> page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Eloquence) I read:
>
> To include this picture of the day on a page, add the text {{pic of the
> day}}

Yes, but that page has to *exist* on your wiki -- computers are stupid
and only know what you tell them. The link is there so that you will
*click* on it and put in some text.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Pic of the day template not working [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

> Yes, but that page has to *exist* on your wiki -- computers are stupid
> and only know what you tell them. The link is there so that you will
> *click* on it and put in some text.

Sorry to belabor the point but even if the page exists on my wiki, only
whatever text I put on the page comes up. Not a picture. What wiki words
do I need to add to my template page so that a picture is automatically
taken (from the archives I suppose)?

Thanks again,

Jc
Re: Pic of the day template not working [ In reply to ]
Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
>> Yes, but that page has to *exist* on your wiki -- computers are stupid
>> and only know what you tell them. The link is there so that you will
>> *click* on it and put in some text.
>
> Sorry to belabor the point but even if the page exists on my wiki, only
> whatever text I put on the page comes up. Not a picture. What wiki words
> do I need to add to my template page so that a picture is automatically
> taken (from the archives I suppose)?

Something like this: [[Image:Some_image_you_like.jpg]]

It's just a normal wiki page template. There is nothing automatic about
"picture of the day" if that's what you mean; someone goes through
manually and replaces the link each day.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Pic of the day template not working [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

> There is nothing automatic about
> "picture of the day" if that's what you mean; someone goes through
> manually and replaces the link each day.

Ah ... that explains it. Nothing for free I guess :)

Thanks,

Jc
Re: Pic of the day template not working [ In reply to ]
On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 05:51:55PM +0900, Jean-Christian Imbeault wrote:
> Brion Vibber wrote:
> >
> >There is nothing automatic about
> >"picture of the day" if that's what you mean; someone goes through
> >manually and replaces the link each day.
>
> Ah ... that explains it. Nothing for free I guess :)

Except, of course, the software you're using. And the technical support.

~ESP