Mailing List Archive

mysql_thread_id error on Debian woody: upgrade to sarge unavoidable?
Hello,

I've installed Mediawiki 1.3.0beta5 on a Linux Debian Woody
(3.0, stable) machine.

Now when I try to use Special:Askasql as sysop I get the error
message:

Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_thread_id() in
/home/rene/projects/carriere/www/wiki/includes/Database.php on
line 461

This must be because woody has PHP 4.1, and mysql_thread_id()
was introduced in PHP 4.3.

So strictly speaking "PHP 4.1.2 required (4.3.x is preferred)"
on http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Running_MediaWiki_on_Linux is
incorrect. 4.3 is required.

Unfortunately, there is no backport of PHP 4.3.x for woody on
www.backports.org.

What's the best way to proceed? Install PHP 4.3 from source on
woody? Or upgrade the machine to Debian sarge?

Anyone else still running Mediawiki on woody?

--
Regards / Groeten, http://www.leren.nl
René Pijlman http://www.applinet.nl
Re: mysql_thread_id error on Debian woody: upgrade to sarge unavoidable? [ In reply to ]
Rene Pijlman wrote:
> I've installed Mediawiki 1.3.0beta5 on a Linux Debian Woody
> (3.0, stable) machine.
>
> Now when I try to use Special:Askasql as sysop I get the error
> message:
>
> Fatal error: Call to undefined function: mysql_thread_id() in
> /home/rene/projects/carriere/www/wiki/includes/Database.php on
> line 461
>
> This must be because woody has PHP 4.1, and mysql_thread_id()
> was introduced in PHP 4.3.

That bit is not strictly necessary; wrap it in a version check:

(in Database.php)
function startTimer( $timeout )
{
global $IP;
if( version_compare( phpversion(), "4.3.0", "gte" ) {
# This will kill the query if it's still running after $timeout seconds.
$tid = mysql_thread_id( $this->mConn );
exec( "php $IP/killthread.php $timeout $tid &>/dev/null &" );
}
}

If you have a runaway query you'll have to wait for it to finish or kill
it manually.

Please let us know if anything else is broken on 4.1.2; that's our
minimum supported version and only because Debian takes twenty years to
put out a stable release. ;) However it's not really tested very often.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: mysql_thread_id error on Debian woody: upgrade to sarge unavoidable? [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber:
>Rene Pijlman:
>> This must be because woody has PHP 4.1, and mysql_thread_id()
>> was introduced in PHP 4.3.
>
>That bit is not strictly necessary; wrap it in a version check:
[...]
>If you have a runaway query you'll have to wait for it to finish or kill
>it manually.

Thank you very much Brion.

>Please let us know if anything else is broken on 4.1.2; that's our
>minimum supported version and only because Debian takes twenty years to
>put out a stable release. ;) However it's not really tested very often.

I will.

Re: mysql_thread_id error on Debian woody: upgrade to sarge unavoidable? [ In reply to ]
Quoting Rene Pijlman, from the post of Fri, 06 Aug:

> Unfortunately, there is no backport of PHP 4.3.x for woody on
> www.backports.org.

I use this: http://dotdeb.org

I find their response time to erratas is also very quick. I run MW
1/3beta3 on it with no ill effects.

> What's the best way to proceed? Install PHP 4.3 from source on
> woody? Or upgrade the machine to Debian sarge?

Do NOT upgrade a production server to testing! It has no security updates!
I had a major break-in when I upgraded to woody when it was still in
testing. a silly and easy crack that was fixed in stable a week before
this happend.

--
Hawaiian Sumo legend
Ira Abramov
Re: mysql_thread_id error on Debian woody: upgrade to sarge unavoidable? [ In reply to ]
Ira Abramov:
>I use this: http://dotdeb.org

Hey, great resource. Thanks.

>> What's the best way to proceed? Install PHP 4.3 from source on
>> woody? Or upgrade the machine to Debian sarge?
>
>Do NOT upgrade a production server to testing! It has no security updates!

Ack.

Re: mysql_thread_id error on Debian woody: upgrade to sarge unavoidable? [ In reply to ]
Quoting Rene Pijlman, from the post of Sun, 08 Aug:
> >> What's the best way to proceed? Install PHP 4.3 from source on
> >> woody? Or upgrade the machine to Debian sarge?
> >
> >Do NOT upgrade a production server to testing! It has no security updates!
>
> Ack.

well, actually 5 minutes after I posted this I saw a post from the
Release Tzar. apperently Sarge is less than two months away from
release, so starting August 12 it WILL be included in the security
release system. still I'd wait another week or two to see that
everything flows flawlessly.

--
Baby genious
Ira Abramov