Mailing List Archive

pear problem while trying to install
Hi,

Installing mediawiki went fine up to the point where it said:

"then follow this link to your wiki"

clicking on it (after having moved the config file) produces:

[.pear_error: message="failed to open stream: Permission denied" code=0 mode=return level=notice prefix="" info=""]

I've seen it's listed as a bug before and reported on this list, but
not with the way of solving it.

John Ingleby suggested:
***************
The solution is to alter the file PHPTAL-NP-0.7.0/libs/PHPTAL.php
and replace the line:

define('PHPTAL_DEFAULT_CACHE_DIR', '/tmp/');

to point to a new /tmp directory I made within the wiki's file
tree.

At first it didn't work, until I remembered to make my local /tmp
directory writeable...
***************

Well, 'my' line looked different, but I changed it anyway, looks now
like this:

// define('PHPTAL_DEFAULT_CACHE_DIR', getenv("TMP") . "\\");
define('PHPTAL_DEFAULT_CACHE_DIR', "/htdocs/content/tmp/");

I chmodded that directory 777

But still I get the same message...

I tried to give the full path name:

define('PHPTAL_DEFAULT_CACHE_DIR', "/dnshome/gran-canaria-info.com/htdocs/content/tmp/");

but that doesn't work neither (I know nothing of php)

Marko Faas once wrote, after having reported the same problem:
*************
Now it works. All I did was to comment out the $wgDefaultSkin =
'monobook'; in LocalSettings.php. I found it odd that it was commented
in the first place.

Maybe the default skin should be commented?

That and I put some texts here, were it wasn't before:
$wgRightsText = "HERE";
But I doubt that was the reason.
*************

That doesn't work neither.

What am I to do?

Thanks a lot for your time (spent on reading this).

--
Lex Thoonen
PĂȘng Smart Web Design - http://www.peng.nl
Re: pear problem while trying to install - follow up [ In reply to ]

LT> What am I to do?

looking further and further on the net I found this:

make the 'images' directory world writable.

That did the trick...

Thanks anyway.