Mailing List Archive

Copying all wiki pages
I would like to be able to copy all the pages from my wiki to a version
running on my laptop, that way I can modify content when I am offline.
What is the easiest way to do this? I saw this page:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/XML_import/export

Which pointed me to:

Special:Export

But it only seems to work for one page at a time. Or, more precisely, I
couldn't figure out how to tell it to do all the pages. It implies that
it can handle a list of pages, but I couldn't produce such a list
anywhere.

I tried producing a list of all the pages by using:

Special:Allpages

It gave me this:

Election 2004 to ¾Ç¤¤¤å

But no list. Note, the second half of that is in Chinese, so your
e-mail client may not display it properly. It may also be why this is
not working. I think I basically need the Wiki to produce a plaintext
list of the names of all pages so that I can easily use the
export/import feature.

Any ideas?

Thanks

kerim
Re: Copying all wiki pages [ In reply to ]
I guess I need to do it some other way, turns out that

Special:Import

Is not yet working in Beta5...

"Special:Import is not ready for this beta release, sorry."

kerim

Re: Copying all wiki pages [ In reply to ]
On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 09:24:31 -0400, P. Kerim friedman
<kerim.mail@oxus.net> wrote:
> I think I basically need the Wiki to produce a plaintext
> list of the names of all pages so that I can easily use the
> export/import feature.

Have you considered downloading a complete dump of the Wikipedia
content? http://download.wikimedia.org will let you download 'cur'
(the current data of all Wikipedia articles), and it's only 301
megabytes. You can then run queries against this database at your own
discretion.
Re: Copying all wiki pages [ In reply to ]
> Have you considered downloading a complete dump of the Wikipedia
> content? http://download.wikimedia.org will let you download 'cur'
> (the current data of all Wikipedia articles), and it's only 301
> megabytes. You can then run queries against this database at your own
> discretion.

Erm. I misread. I thought that you wanted all content from Wikipedia. =/