Mailing List Archive

How to change [[article]]s into [[article|articles]] automagically?
Folks

I've asked this before on list (but with a slightly different approach
:) and received no answer. Let me try again explaining in a better form
(I hope).

Some articles at MusicWiki were written in such way that endings were
left after a link to other article. This is a real example:
"(...) record of [[song]]s or [[music]] (...)"

When MediaWiki renders the page, it show a link to Song article but it
doesn't include final "s" as part of the link (as if the contributor has
typed [[song|songs]] instead of [[song]]s). This is a listed feature (at
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing#Links.2C_URLs - Endings are
blended into the link), however.

I was wondering if I need to enable something or configure something so
my MediaWiki instalation could behave like Meta.

Any help would be very appreciated

--
Alisson Sellaro

MusicWiki :: http://www.music-wiki.org
Plug It In! :: http://www.plugitin.com.br

AIM : sellaropelucio
ICQ : 150658836
Jabber: sellaro@jabber.linux.it
MSN : alissonsellaro@hotmail.com
Re: How to change [[article]]s into [[article|articles]] automagically? [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 28 Jul 2004 08:03:35 -0300, Alisson Sellaro
<sellaro@plugitin.com.br> wrote:
> When MediaWiki renders the page, it show a link to Song article but it
> doesn't include final "s" as part of the link (as if the contributor has
> typed [[song|songs]] instead of [[song]]s). This is a listed feature (at
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing#Links.2C_URLs - Endings are
> blended into the link), however.
>
> I was wondering if I need to enable something or configure something so
> my MediaWiki instalation could behave like Meta.

After following up a lot of red herrings, I finally tracked this down
to a single character in MediaWiki:Linktrail. This should end
"(.*)$/sD", but somewhere along the line that $ has been escaped,
giving "(.*)\$/sD" - so instead of looking for an end-of-line, it's
looking for an actual dollar-sign. This gives the amusing but not
particularly useful effect that adding a dollar sign at the end of a
link will activate the feature on that link (and disappear the $)

In other words, all you need do is change
http://www.music-wiki.org/MediaWiki:Linktrail to be the same as
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Linktrail by deleting the stray
\

The actual Language.php definition seems to be correct, so I can only
think that the escaping is being done automatically by whatever script
puts the messages into the database (to create the MediaWiki:
versions). Anyone know where this might be, and if it's been fixed
already for clean installs?

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: How to change [[article]]s into [[article|articles]] automagically? [ In reply to ]
Rowan Collins wrote:

>In other words, all you need do is change
>http://www.music-wiki.org/MediaWiki:Linktrail to be the same as
>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki:Linktrail by deleting the stray
>\

Uo and running, Rowan. Thanks for your help.

I'll put this info at Meta discusion page about basic editing.

Re: How to change [[article]]s into [[article|articles]] automagically? [ In reply to ]
This was OK in my version (1.3.0beta5) so I guess it has been fixed.

kerim

Re: How to change [[article]]s into [[article|articles]] automagically? [ In reply to ]
P. Kerim friedman wrote:

> This was OK in my version (1.3.0beta5) so I guess it has been fixed.

Maybe. I'm using beta3.

Re: How to change [[article]]s into [[article|articles]] automagically? [ In reply to ]
Rowan Collins wrote:
> The actual Language.php definition seems to be correct, so I can only
> think that the escaping is being done automatically by whatever script
> puts the messages into the database (to create the MediaWiki:
> versions). Anyone know where this might be, and if it's been fixed
> already for clean installs?

It was fixed as of beta5.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)