Any ideas what to do?

Thanks,
Hagix
Re: HTTP 500 error after installation [ In reply to ]
On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:35:55 +0200, Hagix <hagix@hagix.net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I managed to install TikiWiki without a problem and now I want to install
> MediaWiki as well in order to compare both systems. I FTP'ed the unzipped
> MediaWiki files'n'folders into a new directory on the remote server,
> chmodded the "config" directory and its index.php to 777. But when I'm
> browsing to config/index.php I'm getting an HTTP 500 / Internal server
> error.

Do you have access to the Apache error logs at all - I've never used
that kind of remote server before, but there must be some way of
getting at them I imagine. Because generally, a 500 is something going
wrong with the script being run, and without reading the actual error
message, there's not really any way of tracking it down and solving
it.

Good luck, though...

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]
Re: HTTP 500 error after installation [ In reply to ]
> > I managed to install TikiWiki without a problem and now I want to
install
> > MediaWiki as well in order to compare both systems. I FTP'ed the
unzipped
> > MediaWiki files'n'folders into a new directory on the remote server,
> > chmodded the "config" directory and its index.php to 777. But when I'm
> > browsing to config/index.php I'm getting an HTTP 500 / Internal server
> > error.
>
> Do you have access to the Apache error logs at all - I've never used
> that kind of remote server before, but there must be some way of
> getting at them I imagine. Because generally, a 500 is something going
> wrong with the script being run, and without reading the actual error
> message, there's not really any way of tracking it down and solving
> it.
>
> Good luck, though...
>
> --
> Rowan Collins BSc
> [IMSoP]

Here's the log entry:
Premature end of script headers: [...]/mwiki/config/index.php

Obviously it's not being run properly indeed. I already contacted my ISP but
any additional hint is welcome.

Thanks,
Hagix
Re: HTTP 500 error after installation [ In reply to ]
> Here's the log entry:
> Premature end of script headers: [...]/mwiki/config/index.php
>
> Obviously it's not being run properly indeed. I already contacted my ISP but
> any additional hint is welcome.

Hm, nothing more? That's a shame. Is there a PHP equivalent of perl's
"-w", does anyone know? Or, for that matter, a really easy way of
getting it to print messages to stderr (like "Got here." etc) so that
you can see if they appear in the Apache log (as I understand it,
anything sent to stderr will)?

If it's not even *beginning* to run, I don't know how you could work
out what's wrong, to be honest - all that error tells you is that
Apache never got hold of the output, which could mean anything,
couldn't it?

--
Rowan Collins BSc
[IMSoP]