one it is simple and quick I just need more control of it. The main
site has theres custom made so I know it is possible.

^v^
Re: Please help, trying to edit the sidebars text and other items [ In reply to ]
Just chiming in to say we would also very much like to add a link to
Categories from the top-level of the side bar. Our users are not
finding it in the Special pages.

Michelle

Re: Please help, trying to edit the sidebars text and other items [ In reply to ]
On Mon, 2004-06-28 at 21:40, trip somewhere wrote:

> Please help me I have spent two days trying to figure out how to edit
> the sidebar to remove some links change the text and add a new
> catagorie link to it.
> I dislike the Random page, my watchlist, and other items, but the
> preferences and documentaition has nothing on it.

You pretty much are going to have to either:

a) go through Skin.php and the other includes/Skin*.php files to strip
out the links you don't want.
b) Learn to understand PHP TAL and see if you can write your own
template for it.

Neither is fun nor easy. If you grok PHP already, try a). If not, you
might as well learn TAL, so try b). TAL's home page and documentation is
here:

http://phptal.sourceforge.net/

...although I believe they punt on a lot of things to Zope.

> Please please help, I am going through so many wikis and I like this
> one it is simple and quick I just need more control of it.

You do know this is the _MediaWiki_ mailing list, right?

> The main
> site has theres custom made so I know it is possible.

Which site you do mean? Wikipedia?

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel (http://wikitravel.org/)
Re: Re: Please help, trying to edit the sidebars text and other items [ In reply to ]
Aw well oops sorry about posting to the wrong place, no matter then as
that little bit of instructions has scared me off. All I wanted was a
simple basic wiki not a chore :p.

Do you know of anyother ones with a little more basic control ?

thank you ^v^.

Re: Re: Please help, trying to edit the sidebars text and other items [ In reply to ]
On Tue, 2004-06-29 at 00:48, trip somewhere wrote:

> Aw well oops sorry about posting to the wrong place, no matter then as
> that little bit of instructions has scared me off.

Sorry to scare you off. You were probably posting to the right place,
since the Wiki engine you were describing sounds like MediaWiki.

> All I wanted was a
> simple basic wiki not a chore :p.

Then I'm guessing MediaWiki isn't the one for you. I wish that wasn't
the case, but "simple basic wiki" isn't what it's designed for.

It's made primarily for Wikipedia (http://wikipedia.org/), secondarily
for other Wikimedia projects (http://wikimedia.org/), and lastly for
other projects that have the time and wherewithal to adapt it to their
needs.

> Do you know of anyother ones with a little more basic control ?

Try PmWiki:

http://www.pmwiki.org/

It's a simple WikiEngine that has a very configurable look-and-feel.

The canonical list of WikiEngines is here:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines

Good luck and happy wikiing!

~ESP

Re: Re: Re: Please help, trying to edit the sidebars text and other items [ In reply to ]
Sweet! Pmwiki is perfect ! Thank you. ^v^