Lucky dog
Ira Abramov
http://ira.abramov.org/email/
Re: [OT] transparent PNG? [ In reply to ]
Ira Abramov wrote:
> This is not exactly MediaWiki-l related per se, so please ignore the
> reply-to and answer me off-list if you can.

I wasn't sure of how much of your address was antispam fake material... :)

> The PNG logo on my Monobook installation as well as the one on the
> wikipedia sites (jigsaw globe) has an alpha channel and works equally
> nice in both Gecho-based browsers as well as M$ Internet Exploder. I
> can't seem to create one for my site. the best I get is a PNG that is
> transparent on mozilla but has a weird grey back on MSIE. can anyone
> clue me in on where I went wrong and what is the correct procedure to
> get a cross-browser compatible transparent PNG? I have both Gimp and
> Adobe tools available.

MSIE on Windows accepts 8-bit palettized transparent PNGs only. I wrote
up a quick howto for creating these in GIMP:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixing_transparent_PNGs

Or you can just use a GIF. ;)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: [OT] transparent PNG? [ In reply to ]
Quoting Brion Vibber, from the post of Fri, 25 Jun:
> Ira Abramov wrote:
> >This is not exactly MediaWiki-l related per se, so please ignore the
> >reply-to and answer me off-list if you can.
>
> I wasn't sure of how much of your address was antispam fake material... :)

none of it, I get everything in this domain. for years it was a
wonderful way to sort mail and block spam but now it's a victim to
spammers who guess random addresses. I need to switch from inculsive to
exclusive filtering :-(

> MSIE on Windows accepts 8-bit palettized transparent PNGs only. I wrote
> up a quick howto for creating these in GIMP:
> http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fixing_transparent_PNGs

i.e. PNG should disguise itself as a GIF and I lose the alpha channel
for 1/0 transparency? oh well...

tested, works, thanks :)

> Or you can just use a GIF. ;)

Heaven forbid!!! (and RMS too)

--
Poppin' fresh
Ira Abramov
Re: [OT] transparent PNG? [ In reply to ]
There are IE hacks, using javascript/css, allowing IE to correctly
display alpha channel in pngs.
See for example: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/
or: http://www.mongus.net/pngInfo/

BoD

Re: Re: [OT] transparent PNG? [ In reply to ]
BoD wrote:
> There are IE hacks, using javascript/css, allowing IE to correctly
> display alpha channel in pngs.
> See for example: http://homepage.ntlworld.com/bobosola/
> or: http://www.mongus.net/pngInfo/

Yes, we've even tried these. Unfortunately they seem to be unreliable;
doesn't work at all on some IE versions; throws up security warnings
sometimes; may even crash.

I think it's disabled currently.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)