performance?

Thanks,

Debi
Re: <=32K File Size Recommendation [ In reply to ]
AlphabetDP@aol.com wrote:
> Is the only reason for the limiting of file size due to the editing or
> is there another issue we should be concerned with -- such as storage or
> search performance?

The 32k warning is specifically about browsers that cut off edited text
at 32k (old Netscape, IE on the Mac, some others perhaps). This is only
a warning, however, and not a limit in the wiki. Theoretically the
maximum size of a wiki page in MediaWiki is 16 megabytes (stored in a
MEDIUMTEXT column).

I wouldn't recommend you actually approach 16mb, though. :) Naturally,
the longer pages get, the slower it will be to deal with them and the
more disk space is required to store them. If you have a strict
memory_limit set in PHP, very long pages may simply kill the script.

Note that currently we don't have diff-based storage; when you make a
change to a page the entire previous revision is stored in whole.
(Consider enabling $wgCompressOld if you have zlib support in PHP; this
will reduce old text requirements by roughly half.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: <=32K File Size Recommendation [ In reply to ]
In a message dated 6/21/2004 5:02:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
brion@pobox.com writes:

> I wouldn't recommend you actually approach 16mb, though. :)

:O

Thanks. I don't think we'll exceed that! I hope not, anyway!

I appreciate your quick responses.

We're still working the customized menu issue. I'll let you know how we make
out. :)

Take care,

Debi