Mailing List Archive

last few edges to iron
Quoting Ira Abramov, from the post of Thu, 17 Jun:
> Quoting Ira Abramov, from the post of Thu, 17 Jun:
> >
> > ok, got it, now I have a nice error message that happend because
> > obviously the scheme has changed and there's a field missing in the DB,
>
> ok, this was solved on IRC, thanks Brion, Tim and Domas!

still had to add the rc_ip field to table recentchanges, but thanks to
the nicely detailed error messages it took only a few seconds. I wish
other web applications were this verbose yet to the point.

now came the stage of testing this for my non-GNU friends. apperently
Monobook is heavy into CSS2 or whatever that prevents it from rendering
correctly on MSIE. this was not the case in the older version installed
on the wikipedia site. compare (if you have explorer available) the two:
http://cliki.site.co.il/
http://he.wikipedia.org/

the other item is that I have yet not figured out why the TOC does not
appear on the main page (but seems to work fine on a regular article)
any hints will be most welcome...

--
Too much of a good thing
Ira Abramov
Re: last few edges to iron [ In reply to ]
> the other item is that I have yet not figured out why the TOC does not
> appear on the main page (but seems to work fine on a regular article)
> any hints will be most welcome...

Funnily enough, I just came upon the code responsible for that yesterday. There's actually a specific check that stops the parser adding a toc on what
it knows to be the main page.

includes/Parser.php:lines 1846-1850:

# never add the TOC to the Main Page. This is an entry page that should not
# be more than 1-2 screens large anyway
if( $this->mTitle->getPrefixedText() == wfMsg('mainpage') ) {
$doShowToc = 0;
}

If you really want a ToC there, perhaps you could just comment out those lines of code.
--
Rowan Collins
[IMSoP]
Re: last few edges to iron [ In reply to ]
Ira Abramov wrote:
> now came the stage of testing this for my non-GNU friends. apperently
> Monobook is heavy into CSS2 or whatever that prevents it from rendering
> correctly on MSIE. this was not the case in the older version installed
> on the wikipedia site. compare (if you have explorer available) the two:
> http://cliki.site.co.il/
> http://he.wikipedia.org/

You need to complete the Hebrew translation. Intermixing English and
Hebrew text in monobook's tabs screws them up in IE.

> the other item is that I have yet not figured out why the TOC does not
> appear on the main page (but seems to work fine on a regular article)
> any hints will be most welcome...

It's special-cased not to appear on the main page.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Re: last few edges to iron [ In reply to ]
Quoting Rowan Collins [IMSoP], from the post of Thu, 17 Jun:
> Funnily enough, I just came upon the code responsible for that yesterday.
> There's actually a specific check that stops the parser adding a toc on
> what it knows to be the main page.

viva undocumentation :-)

yeah, I guess I should redesign my front page anyway, and go see about
translating the tabs. I'm guessing I should be looking at Allmessages
and not the theme files...

Thanks again!

Ira.

--