Mailing List Archive

Changing gnunote and fromwikipedia/sitesubtitle
Hi,

I have set up an installation of MediaWiki for internal communication
within a development team. This is an experiment, but I think a Wiki
is an excellent tool.

I now would like to customize the appearance to better fit this
application. Most notably I wanted to remove the line "..the free
encyclopedia" and the note about content automatically being
licensed unter the FDL as it is not true in my case.

Question A: Is this legal under the license governing the use of
MediaWiki?

Question B: How do I do it?

I tried changing the text in languages/LanguageDe.php to blank or to
something else but this had no effect on the output. I grepped for
"Wissensdatenbank" as it appears in my output and it is nowhere to
be found but still appears on my Wiki-Pages in the sitesubtitle.

Is that text stored anywhere else where I (or my grep) didn't look?

I could also change the templates but I'd rather not from fear of
breaking something.

Ciao, MM
--
Marian Aldenhövel, Rosenhain 23, 53123 Bonn.
Fon +49 228 624013, Fax +49 228 624031.
Re: Changing gnunote and fromwikipedia/sitesubtitle [ In reply to ]
Marian Aldenhövel wrote:
> I now would like to customize the appearance to better fit this
> application. Most notably I wanted to remove the line "..the free
> encyclopedia" and the note about content automatically being
> licensed unter the FDL as it is not true in my case.
>
> Question A: Is this legal under the license governing the use of
> MediaWiki?

Yes! MediaWiki doesn't itself care what your content license is.
Obviously if you're hosting a mirror or derivative of Wikipedia content
you'd want to leave it at GFDL, but otherwise (as you're not) feel free
to change it.

1.3 has less of this stuff hardcoded in the defaults.

> Question B: How do I do it?

From MediaWiki 1.2 localization text is stored in the database to make
it easier to customize. **This takes precendence over the text in
LanguageXx.php, which is used to initialize the database at install time.**

See: http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_namespace

You can also disable database messages by setting in LocalSettings.php:
$wgUseDatabaseMessages = false;

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)