Mailing List Archive

Using the MediaWiki:monobook.css page
Hi,
I got the current phase3 CVS code today and have been setting up a new
MediaWiki site. So far it's great, but I had a small question...

I noticed that in Wikipedia certain template messages that have special
background colors or other CSS styles, like
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:TotallyDisputed and
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Controversial, define the CSS
style in the template itself.

It makes more sense for me to define those styles in the css template
(by editing for example the MediaWiki:Monobook.css page). The problem
I'm having is that that page only gets included when a user is
logged-in, but not for anonymous users.

The line in particular in the page source is

url(/seattlewiki/index.php?title=MediaWiki:Monobook.css&action=raw&ctype=text/css&smaxage=18000);

@import
url(/seattlewiki/index.php?title=User:Matias/monobook.css&action=raw&ctype=text/css);
/*]]>*/</style>

As you can see it's importing the main Monobook.css and the user
monobook.css at the same time. Does this sound like a bug, or is it a
known "feature"?

Thanks,
Matias
Re: Using the MediaWiki:monobook.css page [ In reply to ]
Matias Pelenur wrote:
> It makes more sense for me to define those styles in the css template
> (by editing for example the MediaWiki:Monobook.css page). The problem
> I'm having is that that page only gets included when a user is
> logged-in, but not for anonymous users.

Hmm, that sounds like a bug.

> As you can see it's importing the main Monobook.css and the user
> monobook.css at the same time. Does this sound like a bug, or is it a
> known "feature"?

That on the other hand is absolutely normal. Start with the global
stylesheet, then the additional site customizations, then the additional
user customizations.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Using the MediaWiki:monobook.css page [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

> Matias Pelenur wrote:
>
>> It makes more sense for me to define those styles in the css template
>> (by editing for example the MediaWiki:Monobook.css page). The problem
>> I'm having is that that page only gets included when a user is
>> logged-in, but not for anonymous users.
>

> Hmm, that sounds like a bug.

Thanks Brion. I've opened a new bug tracker on SF:
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=967503&group_id=34373&atid=411192

--Matias