Mailing List Archive

Upgrading to a new version of MediaWiki
I looked through the doc files, but couldn't find the answer to this.

Is there any particular procedure for upgrading to the new version (from
1.2.5)? Or, do you just untar it into your instalation directory?

Bruce
Re: Upgrading to a new version of MediaWiki [ In reply to ]
Bruce Bertrand wrote:
> I looked through the doc files, but couldn't find the answer to this.
>
> Is there any particular procedure for upgrading to the new version (from
> 1.2.5)? Or, do you just untar it into your instalation directory?

If you haven't changed anything that will conflict, and there are no
database changes, you can just untar the new version over the old one.

(If you have changed some files, you'll want to make sure you resolve
any conflicts manually.)

When there are database changes (for instance the upcoming 1.3 upgrade)
you'll have to also run the config installer script or else manually run
the update scripts (which should be described in
maintenance/archives/patch-list.txt) Right now this is slightly awkward
in that you have to remove the LocalSettings.php to get the installer to
run (it will upgrade the existing database), then restore any
LocalSettings customizations.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)