Mailing List Archive

Arabic mediawiki doesn't display arabic messages
Hi All,

I'm trying to start an arabic wiki site (similar to the arabic Wikipedia)
but when I install Mediawiki (1.2.5) and switch to the arabic language
everything goes right-to-left but most of the messages (Link names, page
titles, ...) stay in english. I'm not that PHP expert so I couldn't debug
it.

LocalSettings.php contains the below two variables

$wgUseDatabaseMessages = false;
$wgLanguageCode = "ar";

It is an in-place installation.

Thanks in advance,
MO

-------------------------
The only real thing in life is death, are you ready for it.

--
Mohammad
salemoh@fastmail.fm

wherever you are
Re: Arabic mediawiki doesn't display arabic messages [ In reply to ]
Mohammad wrote:
> I'm trying to start an arabic wiki site (similar to the arabic Wikipedia)
> but when I install Mediawiki (1.2.5) and switch to the arabic language
> everything goes right-to-left but most of the messages (Link names, page
> titles, ...) stay in english. I'm not that PHP expert so I couldn't debug
> it.

LanguageAr.php is unfortunately not very complete; on ar.wikipedia.org
most of the localized messages are provided by customized messages in
the MediaWiki: namespace pages. Unless someone's already set up to do
this, you'll have to collect them all and copy them in.

(This could be done programatically; the cur database dump available
from http://download.wikimedia.org/ will include all pages including the
special MediaWiki: pages which carry the localized messages.)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)