David

David Obando
Webmaster/Systemadministrator
Re: migrating mediawiki [ In reply to ]

DD> Hello, currently I'm using Mediawiki 1.1.0 on a linux (debian)
DD> server. I want to migrate the wiki to another server (also
DD> debian) and would like to update the wiki to the current
DD> version 1.2.4. Is it possible to upgrade the wiki and use the
DD> old database? How do I migrate? I tried to dump and import the
DD> db and just copied the wiki-webtree but that didn't work.

So, you want to migrate to a new machine _and_ update at the same
time? It'd probably be easier to migrate first, then update.

You should be able to dump the DB, import it, and copy over the wiki
directory. Of course, you'll need to redo whatever PHP4 and Apache
configuration stuff you had on your old machine.

Once 1.1.0 is up and running on your new machine, you can update to
1.2.4 by running the update.php script in the 1.2.4 distribution
directory.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/
Re: migrating mediawiki [ In reply to ]
On Apr 29, 2004, at 03:16, Obando, David DE - EV wrote:
> currently I'm using Mediawiki 1.1.0 on a linux (debian) server. I want
> to migrate the wiki to another server (also debian) and would like to
> update the wiki to the current version 1.2.4.
>
> Is it possible to upgrade the wiki and use the old database? How do I
> migrate? I tried to dump and import the db and just copied the
> wiki-webtree but that didn't work.

To update some parts of the database structure, you'll have to run the
install (in-place installation script is web-accessible, in the config/
subdirectory -- preferably run this; or you can try to use the
update.php with a copy of your old LocalSettings.php, but be very very
careful).

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
AW: migrating mediawiki [ In reply to ]
Thanx for your support. I successfully migrated and updated mediwiki.

Regards,
David