Mailing List Archive

relation
Now that the wiki is up and running I have a couple of
questions.
The first is about having two wiki running on the same
set of include files. The second about having the same
wiki being accessed from two different places on the
net.

1) would it be possible to run more than one wiki on
the same basic files?
How should I modify the LocalSettings to create the
new wiki? DO I have to generate a new Database and a
new user of the database?

2) I am interested in accessing the same wiki from two
different location. One would be the basic location
(with a name easy to remember), and the second would
be as a subdirectory of my webpage. Would that be
possible? I tried to copy all the files on the
directory /wiki to another directory /wok and the
subdirectory images and and stylesheet and the whole
thing appeared to be accessible both at /wiki and
/wok.
This is interesting in itself (as a partial answer to
the second question), but is ite safe to do so?

Many thanks for any answer,
Pietro

Yahoo! Photos: High-quality 4x6 digital prints for 25ยข
http://photos.yahoo.com/ph/print_splash
Re: relation [ In reply to ]
On Apr 24, 2004, at 10:31, Pietro Speroni di Fenizio wrote:
> 1) would it be possible to run more than one wiki on
> the same basic files?
> How should I modify the LocalSettings to create the
> new wiki?

Here's a rough layout of how things are set up on Wikipedia:

A common include file directory holds the main guts: everything from
includes/ and languages/ and a CommonSettings.php with most of the
LocalSettings stuff customized.

Each wiki has a stub LocalSettings.php which sets the include path,
sets a variable setting the language, and includes the common settings
file. The publicly exposed scripts (index.php/wiki.phtml,
redirect.php/.phtml) are symlinked from the common directory. Other
common files are either duplicated or symlinked as necessary, so a
minimum of things have to be changed to update all wikis at once.

> DO I have to generate a new Database and a
> new user of the database?

Each wiki requires its own database.

> 2) I am interested in accessing the same wiki from two
> different location. One would be the basic location
> (with a name easy to remember), and the second would
> be as a subdirectory of my webpage. Would that be
> possible? I tried to copy all the files on the
> directory /wiki to another directory /wok and the
> subdirectory images and and stylesheet and the whole
> thing appeared to be accessible both at /wiki and
> /wok.
> This is interesting in itself (as a partial answer to
> the second question), but is ite safe to do so?

As long as you're not using squid caching, that's probably ok. I'm not
sure why you'd want to do that though. :)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)