F.R. Germany, European Union * mailto:t.rother@netzwissen.de
http://www.netzwissen.de * GPG Key from http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
GPG Fingerprint B208 E204 4249 4635 19B9 B691 3E73 C8B9 1229 DE4C
Re: rebuildMessages.php [ In reply to ]
Hi again,
I still need help with this: How can I re-import the de messages for a
1.2.4 wiki which was installed with $wgUseDatabaseMessages = false and
shall now be used with $wgUseDatabaseMessages = true, but with a german UI?

Thanks, Thomas

>I have a problem with the following task (From
>http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_i18n) in mediawiki 1.2.4:
>
>2) Run maintenance/rebuildMessages.php to re-import the messages. You'll
>have to temporarily take out the maintenance script warning in your
>LocalSettings.php to run it, probably. It needs to be run from the
>command line. (This'll be cleaner in 1.3.x...)
>
>When I start this script from the shell (php rebuildMessages.php), nothing happens, but I see no error msgs in the php log. And whats that "maintenance script warning in your LocalSettings.php"? I can't find that ...
>
>I have a wiki which was installed with $wgUseDatabaseMessages = false; I now switched to "true" and want to re-import the german messages into the database and then work on the user interface.
>
>By the way: Is there any documentation for the maintenance scripts at all? I could not find an overview about when to use which script...
>
>Thanks & Bye, Thommie

THOMAS M. ROTHER * n e t z w i s s e n . d e * D-73728 Esslingen
Re: rebuildMessages.php [ In reply to ]

TR> Hi again, I still need help with this: How can I re-import the
TR> de messages for a 1.2.4 wiki which was installed with
TR> $wgUseDatabaseMessages = false and shall now be used with
TR> $wgUseDatabaseMessages = true, but with a german UI?

I believe running the rebuildMessages.php script (from the command
line) in the maintenance directory should re-update the messages.

Be forewarned: using DB messages is pretty darn expensive in terms of
performance, unless you're using memcached. I really wish I could turn
them off, but 1.2.x seems to need them for {{msg:}} transclusion.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/