Any clue what is going on? I've searched the web and come up with very little to explain exactly what it is that's causing either of these problems.

Thanks,
Xy
Re: Blankness... [ In reply to ]
On Apr 17, 2004, at 10:35, Xyanth wrote:
> I also tried running the 'classic' setup from scratch, and the classic
> setup DELETES all the data in the index.php file, just leaving it as a
> blank file sitting there.  It also deletes the data from several other
> files in the main directory of the Wiki.

DO NOT RUN THE CLASSIC SETUP WITH SOURCE AND DESTINATION DIRECTORY THE
SAME, AS IT WILL BLANK MANY FILES AND WILL PRODUCE A HIGHLY INSECURE
INSTALLATION THAT EXPOSES MAINTENANCE SCRIPTS TO THE PUBLIC WHICH CAN
BE USED TO DESTROY YOUR WIKI IF YOU MANUALLY RESTORE THE BLANKED FILES.

It's been disabled entirely in 1.2.4 just to stop people from trying
it. :)

> Any clue what is going on?  I've searched the web and come up with
> very little to explain exactly what it is that's causing either of
> these problems.

No idea, as I've never been able to reproduce the problem. I'm hoping
some kind soul will be able to debug it and let us know at exactly
which point it fails... But I'll test on WinXP and see if I can
reproduce it there.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Blankness... [ In reply to ]
On Apr 17, 2004, at 10:35, Xyanth wrote:
> Now, whenever I try to setup MediaWiki (from scratch), I'll configure
> it with no problems (At least, so it says), but after I run the
> install script from the /config directory and click on the 'Your wiki
> is setup!  Now go on to your wiki' link, it sends me to the index.php
> of the main directory.  But it only gives me a blank page in Internet
> Explorer.  Refreshing doesn't help.  I've tried manually fixing the
> problem but I have no clue what's causing it.  But it happens after
> the 'include_once('Localsettings.php');' is run in the Index.php.

Okay, I've installed MediaWiki 1.2.4 onto my WinXP Professional box,
and it's working fine so far. I'm using Apache 2.0.48, PHP 4.3.4 setup
as CGI, MySQL 4.0.16 on a separate linux box, with a pre-created empty
database[1]. Here's the report from the installer:

MediaWiki 1.2.4 installation
Checking environment...
PHP 4.3.4 ok
PHP server API is cgi-fcgi; using ugly URLs (index.php?title=Page_Title)
Have zlib support; enabling output compression.
Couldn't find GD library or ImageMagick; image thumbnailing disabled.
Installation directory: C:\Program Files\Apache
Group\Apache2\htdocs\mediawiki-1.2.4
Script URI path: /mediawiki-1.2.4
MySQL error 1045: Access denied for user:
'root@verda-majo.leuksman.com' (Using password: NO)
Trying regular user... ok.
Connected to database... 4.0.16; enabling MySQL 4 enhancements
Database winwiki exists
Creating tables... done.
Initializing data...
Created sysop account WikiSysop.
Initialising log pages...
Initialising "MediaWiki" namespace...
Reading....done
Setting up....Done
Processing...Done
Writing...Done
Writing to MediaWiki:All_messages
Finished
Creating LocalSettings.php...

Success! Move the LocalSettings.php file into the parent directory,
then follow this link to your wiki.

[1] To create a database:
mysql -u root -p
mysql> CREATE DATABASE winwiki;