Mailing List Archive

1.2.3: Localisation not working?
Hi,
I just upgraded a mediawiki 1.2.1 to 1.2.3 throughthe classical method
(Shell, "php update.php"), now I have two problems:

a) The localisation does not work. I have

## If you want a non-English wiki, add a line like this
$wgLanguageCode = "de";

in LocalSettings.php. But the "Startpage" still appears in english.

b) The old entries are gone although they are still present in the
database tables.
I assume this has to do with a) as the renaming of "Hauptseite" to
"Startpage" causes brooken links to the subsequent pages...

The messages from update.php were

Copying files... ok
Checking database for necessary updates...
Updating ipblocks table... ok
...already have interwiki table
...indexes seem up to 20031107 standards
...linkscc table possibly corrupt, redefining... Adding linkscc table... ok
Adding hitcounter table... ok
Adding rc_type, rc_moved_to_ns, rc_moved_to_title...ok
Initialising "MediaWiki" namespace...
Reading....done
Setting up....Done
Processing...Done
Writing...Done
Writing to MediaWiki:All_messages
Finished
Done.
intraweb:/tmp/mediawiki-1.2.3 # mc

Any ideas?

Greetings, Thommie
THOMAS M. ROTHER * n e t z w i s s e n . d e * D-73728 Esslingen
F.R. Germany, European Union * mailto:t.rother@netzwissen.de
http://www.netzwissen.de * GPG Key from http://wwwkeys.de.pgp.net
GPG Fingerprint B208 E204 4249 4635 19B9 B691 3E73 C8B9 1229 DE4C
Re: 1.2.3: Localisation not working? [ In reply to ]
Thomas-
> ## If you want a non-English wiki, add a line like this
> $wgLanguageCode = "de";

> in LocalSettings.php. But the "Startpage" still appears in english.

If you have changed the settings after the install, then the MediaWiki
namespace is still in the language that was used during the install. You
can verify this by setting

$wgUseDatabaseMessages=false;

in LocalSettings.php. If, after clearing your cache, the wiki is now in
German, the problem is that your database contains the English messages.

If you don't need the MediaWiki namespace, you can leave it at that. If
you do need it, I suggest reinstalling the wiki, but setting
$wgLanguageCode before doing so.

Regards,

Erik
Re: 1.2.3: Localisation not working? [ In reply to ]
On Apr 2, 2004, at 11:15, Erik Moeller wrote:
> If you don't need the MediaWiki namespace, you can leave it at that. If
> you do need it, I suggest reinstalling the wiki, but setting
> $wgLanguageCode before doing so.

You needn't reinstall the whole wiki; run rebuildMessages.php in the
maintenance subdirectory.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: 1.2.3: Localisation not working? [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber schrieb:

>You needn't reinstall the whole wiki; run rebuildMessages.php in the
>maintenance subdirectory.

OK, after some playing with the script, it worked. For the ToDo list: As
short description of the functions of all the scripts in maintenance/
would be nice ...

Thanks,

Re: 1.2.3: Localisation not working? [ In reply to ]
On Friday, Apr 2, 2004, at 13:28 US/Central, Brion Vibber wrote:

> You needn't reinstall the whole wiki; run rebuildMessages.php in the
> maintenance subdirectory.

Alas! When I try, I'm told:
> Can't use command-line utils with in-place install yet, sorry.

Dan Morris