I've recently started using Mediawiki, and one of the things I've noticed is that if you don't ignore notice level errors from PHP, you get a lot of warnings about undefined variables. So, I've started work on fixing this, and have attached a patch that fixes the most common of the problems.

I've been testing these for a few days now, without any problems, but would appreciate other people looking over the patch too, see if they can see any flaws in what I've done.

Also, who would I send this patch to, to get it included in Mediawiki?
Re: Notice level fixes [ In reply to ]
On Mar 31, 2004, at 04:53, <ross.nicoll@zen.co.uk> wrote:
> I've recently started using Mediawiki, and one of the things I've
> noticed is that if you don't ignore notice level errors from PHP, you
> get a lot of warnings about undefined variables. So, I've started work
> on fixing this, and have attached a patch that fixes the most common
> of the problems.

We've already been working on this in 1.3 (along with other changes),
but thanks for the 1.2.2 patch. I'll take a look over it...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Notice level fixes [ In reply to ]
Okay, I've integrated a couple of the fixes for accidentally used
uninitialized vars, but the rest is just our sloppy coding style using
uninitialized locals as empty data. :) Rather than introducing more
code changes to the stable release that don't alter the actual
functioning (and probably still leave notice messages when something
previously untested comes up), I'm going to add a switch that disables
the E_NOTICE error reporting level.

In 1.3 we've been changing the way that parameters are read from the
web request and cleaning up a lot of uninitialized locals and globals
along the way; one of the goals is to make everything run cleanly with
E_NOTICE on. If you'd like to pitch in there, it'd be best to grab the
head branch out of CVS and join the wikitech-l mailing list.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)