think you guys should either (a) put a much more obvious warning
against using the installer for existing wikis (I haven't found one
yet), or else (b) tell the installer to do nothing as a safeguard if it
detects an existing database using the name of the database it was told
to set up.

Thanks,
Dan Carlson
*praying that his host has a backup of the database*
Re: Problem with web installer! [ In reply to ]
On Mar 23, 2004, at 12:54, Dan Carlson wrote:
> I suppose it's my own fault for trusting what was explicitly labeled
> as an "experimental" web interface installer, but I'm going to pass
> this information on so that other people are aware as well.
>
> I've had an existing wiki that I wanted to upgrade to 1.2.0rc4, and I
> tried using the web interface. I didn't realize that the installer
> would WIPE MY ENTIRE DATABASE and start over with a blank slate! I
> think you guys should either (a) put a much more obvious warning
> against using the installer for existing wikis (I haven't found one
> yet), or else (b) tell the installer to do nothing as a safeguard if
> it detects an existing database using the name of the database it was
> told to set up.

Well, it's sure as hell not *supposed* to do that! If it detects an
existing set of MediaWiki tables in the database, it's supposed to
update them to current spec, not overwrite them.

Can you detail the exact steps necessary to reproduce this? Obviously
I'd like to fix it...
PHP version
MySQL version
Did you give the same database, db username, and db password as
previously?
Do you have root access on the database?
Does the database have a blank local root password?
etc

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Problem with web installer! [ In reply to ]
On Mar 23, 2004, at 4:13 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:

> Well, it's sure as hell not *supposed* to do that! If it detects an
> existing set of MediaWiki tables in the database, it's supposed to
> update them to current spec, not overwrite them.
>
> Can you detail the exact steps necessary to reproduce this? Obviously
> I'd like to fix it...

As far as I know, I did everything exactly according to instructions.
I uploaded the files (I did a new upload rather than upgrade the
existing directory), left the .sample files in place, and navigated to
the base MediaWiki directory. I filled in the data, using the info for
the existing database user name/password, left the root password field
empty, and then just let 'er rip. Are there any further details that
would be more useful?

> PHP version
4.3.4

> MySQL version
Just upgraded to 4.0.16.

> Did you give the same database, db username, and db password as
> previously?

Yes, I did.

> Do you have root access on the database?

No, not on that username/password. I have another account that has dba
access through phpMyAdmin, but that's it -- I'm hosted on a shared
server.

> Does the database have a blank local root password?

I'm not sure. I left the root password field blank at the bottom of
that field. I'll check with the host, and get back to you on that.

Dan
Re: Problem with web installer! [ In reply to ]
On Mar 23, 2004, at 14:51, Dan Carlson wrote:
> As far as I know, I did everything exactly according to instructions.
> I uploaded the files (I did a new upload rather than upgrade the
> existing directory), left the .sample files in place, and navigated to
> the base MediaWiki directory. I filled in the data, using the info
> for the existing database user name/password, left the root password
> field empty, and then just let 'er rip. Are there any further details
> that would be more useful?

Also, what was the previous version of MediaWiki you were upgrading
from? 1.1.0, or one of the earlier released (20030829, 20031117, etc)?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Problem with web installer! [ In reply to ]
On Mar 23, 2004, at 6:04 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:

> On Mar 23, 2004, at 14:51, Dan Carlson wrote:
>> As far as I know, I did everything exactly according to instructions.
>> I uploaded the files (I did a new upload rather than upgrade the
>> existing directory), left the .sample files in place, and navigated
>> to the base MediaWiki directory. I filled in the data, using the
>> info for the existing database user name/password, left the root
>> password field empty, and then just let 'er rip. Are there any
>> further details that would be more useful?
>
> Also, what was the previous version of MediaWiki you were upgrading
> from? 1.1.0, or one of the earlier released (20030829, 20031117, etc)?

I upgraded from 1.1.0.

Dan
Re: Problem with web installer! [ In reply to ]
On Mar 23, 2004, at 15:26, Dan Carlson wrote:
> On Mar 23, 2004, at 6:04 PM, Brion Vibber wrote:
>> On Mar 23, 2004, at 14:51, Dan Carlson wrote:
>>> As far as I know, I did everything exactly according to
>>> instructions. I uploaded the files (I did a new upload rather than
>>> upgrade the existing directory), left the .sample files in place,
>>> and navigated to the base MediaWiki directory. I filled in the
>>> data, using the info for the existing database user name/password,
>>> left the root password field empty, and then just let 'er rip. Are
>>> there any further details that would be more useful?
>>
>> Also, what was the previous version of MediaWiki you were upgrading
>> from? 1.1.0, or one of the earlier released (20030829, 20031117,
>> etc)?
>
> I upgraded from 1.1.0.

Arrrrrrrrggggghhhhhh!!!!!!!

Ok, I can confirm that I can reproduce destruction of database in such
an upgrade (manually installed 1.1.0 to web-installed 1.2.0rc4 into
same database). I'll crank up the safety notches and put out a new
release tonight.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)