Mailing List Archive

install disk space
What is the minimum disk space requirement to install and run MediaWiki? I attempted to install it on a VDS Linux/Apache server hosted by Jumpline with 500mb of space and at install, it returned an error message and it also seems to have used roughly 1500mb mainly in a tmp (500mb) file and in a /proc/kcore (1,000mb) file before giving up. I deleted the tmp which seemed to have been created by the file manager, but I have no idea what to do with the /proc/kcore file.
Re: install disk space [ In reply to ]
On Mar 4, 2004, at 20:26, Luke Townsley wrote:
> What is the minimum disk space requirement to install and run
> MediaWiki? I attempted to install it on a VDS Linux/Apache server
> hosted by Jumpline with 500mb of space and at install, it returned an
> error message and it also seems to have used roughly 1500mb mainly in
> a tmp (500mb) file and in a /proc/kcore (1,000mb) file before giving
> up. I deleted the tmp which seemed to have been created by the file
> manager, but I have no idea what to do with the /proc/kcore file.

The scripts take up about 3 megabytes (including all the
localizations). Other than that you should just need the database
(space will vary with the amount of data you put in) and a handful of
temp files for session data.

/proc/kcore isn't a real file; it's a virtual file used to access your
system's memory. Nothing in /proc is an actual file on your disk drive,
so you can discount the "size" of such files.

If you're using 500mb in temp space, then something's probably very
very wrong. What kind of tmp file is this? What's it called? What's in
it?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: install disk space [ In reply to ]
My apologies if anyone gets this twice. I forgot to hit "reply all" the first time.

>On Mar 4, 2004, at 20:26, Luke Townsley wrote:
>> What is the minimum disk space requirement to install and run
>> MediaWiki? I attempted to install it on a VDS Linux/Apache server
>> hosted by Jumpline with 500mb of space and at install, it returned an
>> error message and it also seems to have used roughly 1500mb mainly in
>> a tmp (500mb) file and in a /proc/kcore (1,000mb) file before giving
>> up. I deleted the tmp which seemed to have been created by the file
>> manager, but I have no idea what to do with the /proc/kcore file.

>The scripts take up about 3 megabytes (including all the
>localizations). Other than that you should just need the database
>(space will vary with the amount of data you put in) and a handful of
>temp files for session data.

>/proc/kcore isn't a real file; it's a virtual file used to access your
>system's memory. Nothing in /proc is an actual file on your disk drive,
>so you can discount the "size" of such files.

>If you're using 500mb in temp space, then something's probably very
>very wrong. What kind of tmp file is this? What's it called? What's in
>it?

>-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)

BtW, I am installing version 1.1.0 of MediaWiki. The tmp file in question is /var/tmp/fm42791078495739
I am guessing it was created by the file manager/online interface that jumpline uses. Perhaps if I tried to install it without the web interface?
I tried installing MediaWiki again (through the web interface again) after deleting the tmp file but setting the timeout to 600 seconds instead of 20. It still timed out and gave exactly the same results.

I haven't been able to open the tmp file to see what is in it. The properties box gives me the following information:
fm42791078495739 Type:
Location:
Size: File
/var/tmp
518651904 bytes (519163904 allocated)
Device: 2057 Inode: 11944570 Links: 1

Created on:
Modified on:
Last Access: Fri Mar 5 09:22:18 2004
Fri Mar 5 09:22:18 2004
Fri Mar 5 09:22:18 2004

Owner ID:
Group ID: 1017/(I deleted this)
101/vuser

Privileges: (600 / -rw-------)
Owner:
Group:
World: Read , Write
None
None
Re: install disk space [ In reply to ]
On Mar 5, 2004, at 08:47, Luke Townsley wrote:
> BtW, I am installing version 1.1.0 of MediaWiki. The tmp file in
> question is /var/tmp/fm42791078495739
> I am guessing it was created by the file manager/online interface that
> jumpline uses. Perhaps if I tried to install it without the web
> interface?
> I tried installing MediaWiki again (through the web interface again)
> after deleting the tmp file but setting the timeout to 600 seconds
> instead of 20. It still timed out and gave exactly the same results.

Well, the filename doesn't ring any bells for me...

Could you describe the exact steps you followed to install? I should
point out that MediaWiki 1.1.0 doesn't have a web interface to the
installer; install.php must be run from the command line, and is very
finicky even then.

I'd highly recommend you give 1.2.0rc2 a try: it's got a new web-based
installation which should be a little more straightforward (go to
config/index.php).
http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/wikipedia/mediawiki-1.2.0rc2.tar.gz?
download

If you can get it to work, or have problems with the new installer too,
I'd appreciate any feedback before we make the final 1.2.0 release.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)