Mailing List Archive

MediaWiki 1.2.0rc2 second release candidate released
Since the first release candidate, an in-place web-based install script
has been added. While still a bit experimental and incomplete, it makes
it much easier to get a new wiki started, particularly where shell
access isn't available for the old command-line installer.

*NOTE:* The web install script doesn't yet support updating old
databases or other maintenance procedures. It can create a new
database, or write a basic LocalSettings.php to access an existing
(up-to-date) database without altering it. The new installer is still
experimental and may fail mysteriously; we'd love to hear from you, if
you do or don't get it to work.

Download and release notes:

See 'INSTALL' in the archive for some notes on the new installer.

MediaWiki 1.2.0 includes improved inline image and thumbnailing
support, smoother account management, and a number of interface tweaks
as well as numerous bug fixes and backend features (squid cache
purging, authenticated SMTP, tighter upload security, PHP5
compatibility). Also fixes an incompatibility with MySQL 3.2.x in the
default install that cropped up in 1.1.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: MediaWiki 1.2.0rc2 second release candidate released [ In reply to ]
Just a quick note: when using update.php, it does *not* reinitialize
user interface messages that have already been stored ready in the
MediaWiki: namespace. In particular, this means if you're upgrading
from MediaWiki 1.1.0 (which initialized the messages, but didn't use
them by default), your later-changed $wgSitename setting or any
customizations directly in Language.php will appear overridden by the
old defaults. The next release should be a little more sensible and
automatically update all messages that haven't been manually edited.

You can force the use of messages taken directly out of Language*.php
by setting $wgUseDatabaseMessages = false; or you can reinitialize all
the messages using rebuildMessages.php in the maintenance directory
(command-line script). You can also update the messages manually, if
you're going to change them all anyway. :)

For some general help on the messages system, see
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_namespace

Also, the command-line install & update scripts forget to install
magnify-clip.png, which is used for thumbnail image display. Copy it
from images/ into your uploads directory if you notice it's missing.
The in-place installation never forgets to install a file of course,
because they're all right there! I'd much appreciate feedback from
anyone testing the in-place web install, particularly on Windows or
other obscure operating systems. :)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: MediaWiki 1.2.0rc2 second release candidate released [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:

> MediaWiki 1.2.0 includes [...] numerous bug fixes

It seems that half of the bug that led to the corruption of the links
table has been fixed. However, Whatlinkshere still often displays
duplicates of many links, example:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Whatlinkshere/MediaWiki:NPOV

Why does the links table not have a UNIQUE key on it? :-p

Timwi
Re: Re: MediaWiki 1.2.0rc2 second release candidate released [ In reply to ]
On Mar 4, 2004, at 15:53, Timwi wrote:
> Why does the links table not have a UNIQUE key on it? :-p

No damn clue.

It will in the next revision, though (in addition to using numeric IDs
instead of text for the l_from, which is a big pain to work with).

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)