Mailing List Archive

Page ownership and locking

may contain information that is PRIVILEGED and/or CONFIDENTIAL. If you
immediately.
Re: Page ownership and locking [ In reply to ]

Re: Page ownership and locking [ In reply to ]

AP> First, my thanks to the developers for this wonderful
AP> software....

AP> Is it possible for an article to be "owned" by a particular
AP> user, who could then enable and disable editing of that
AP> article?

Kinda, but not really. Administrators (sysops) can _protect_ a page so
that no one but other administrators can edit it. This might work,
depending on what you want.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/
Re: Page ownership and locking [ In reply to ]

Me> Kinda, but not really. Administrators (sysops) can _protect_ a
Me> page so that no one but other administrators can edit it. This
Me> might work, depending on what you want.

AP> I have found this feature, but wondered if it was available on
AP> a per-user basis. In other words, can a sysop be created with
AP> limited scope or authority?

No. Just about the closest thing we have to that is watchlists: people
are able to say that they're interested in particular pages, and get
notified if they're changed. They can then change them back (if the
information added was incorrect) or leave them alone.

It's probably worthwhile looking into SoftSecurity ideas, to see why
this works so well:

http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?SoftSecurity

You can also check the WikiEngines list for other Wiki software that
implements more "hard security" measures:

http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines

I haven't looked too closely, but I think Twiki might have user and
group permissions for individual pages and page groups:

http://twiki.org/

I doubt that MediaWiki will have these kinds of features soon.

~ESP

P.S. Now that I think of it, MediaWiki does have some whitelisting
features available, but they're on a whole-site basis, not per-user,
per-page.