1) I know I'm being lazy asking this here, but what the heck. How do you
disable scripting by directories? Can't see anything obvious in apache.conf,
and trying to read Debian's documentation by ssh is painful.

2) How do you persuade the Mediwiki namespace items to have some effect on the
site at large? I've given myself sysop status, and I can edit and save them,
but they don't show up on the site at large. Am I missing something?

Many thanks,
Calum
Re: Mediwiki namespace edits have no effect [ In reply to ]
Hi

On Sat 28-Feb-2004 at 08:07:06PM +0000, Calum Galleitch wrote:
> Yes, it's me again (groan).
>
> I think these are the last of my problems:
>
> 1) I know I'm being lazy asking this here, but what the heck. How
> do you disable scripting by directories? Can't see anything
> obvious in apache.conf, and trying to read Debian's documentation
> by ssh is painful.
>
> 2) How do you persuade the Mediwiki namespace items to have some
> effect on the site at large? I've given myself sysop status, and
> I can edit and save them, but they don't show up on the site at
> large. Am I missing something?

Perhaps this in LocalSettings.php:

$wgUseDatabaseMessages = true;

Chris

--
Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>
web design http://www.webarchitects.co.uk/
Re: Mediwiki namespace edits have no effect [ In reply to ]
On Feb 28, 2004, at 12:07, Calum Galleitch wrote:
> 1) I know I'm being lazy asking this here, but what the heck. How do
> you
> disable scripting by directories? Can't see anything obvious in
> apache.conf,
> and trying to read Debian's documentation by ssh is painful.

You might try something like this:

<Directory /var/www/wiki/upload>
php_admin_flag engine off
AddType text/plain .html .htm .shtml
</Directory>

This will turn off PHP script execution and keep HTML from being served
as HTML, to keep embedded JavaScript from attacking and perhaps getting
at session cookies. (Adjust to your preferences.)

> 2) How do you persuade the Mediwiki namespace items to have some
> effect on the
> site at large? I've given myself sysop status, and I can edit and
> save them,
> but they don't show up on the site at large. Am I missing something?

Set: $wgDatabaseMessages = true;

This is on by default in 1.2.0, but not in 1.1.0. There's a bit of a
performance hit and we haven't optimized it fully yet for the general
installation case.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)