I have verified that the following three cookies are
set for my site:
-PHPSESSID
-wikidbUserID
-wikidbUserName

Is there an extra configuration step I have missed?

Thanks for your help!
-Amy
Re: MediaWiki 1.1.0: Login Doesn't Stick [ In reply to ]
This is an ongoing problem on most new installations that I have had
experience with. Basically you need to tell folks to keep trying.

Fred

Re: MediaWiki 1.1.0: Login Doesn't Stick [ In reply to ]
> I have installed MediaWiki 1.1.0 on a Windows 2000
> machine. Everything works well except for logins.
> After I login, I get the "login successful" message.
> Anytime I click to another page, the page still shows
> my IP address, and when I edit a page, the revision is
> associated with my IP address.

Have you enabled the file cache ($wgUseFileCache) or database messages
($wgUseDatabaseMessages)? I had the same problem with logins yesterday but
it seems to have gone away after I disabled them.

Regards,

Erik
Re: MediaWiki 1.1.0: Login Doesn't Stick [ In reply to ]
Hi Folks,

Thanks for the advice so far on my login problem.

Fred Bauder wrote:
>This is an ongoing problem on most new installations
that I have had
>experience with. Basically you need to tell folks to
keep trying.

Does this mean that eventually the problem goes away,
or is it intermittent?
Would it be worthwhile to try rolling back to the
previous version mediawiki-20031118?

Erik Moeller wrote:
>Have you enabled the file cache ($wgUseFileCache) or
database messages
>($wgUseDatabaseMessages)? I had the same problem with
logins yesterday but
>it seems to have gone away after I disabled them.

Neither of these is enabled in my environment. Would
have been nice to have an easy fix, though! :-)

-Amy

Re: MediaWiki 1.1.0: Login Doesn't Stick [ In reply to ]

AC> Hi Folks, Thanks for the advice so far on my login problem.

Hrm. So, you might want to explicitly set the cookie domain and path
for your installation, to make sure the cookies come back the right
way. The variables are

$wgCookieDomain -- your Web server domain
$wgCookiePath -- the top of your Web server path

Also, do a forced reload (Shift + Reload) to make sure that things
aren't coming from the cache.

~ESP

--
Evan Prodromou <evan@wikitravel.org>
Wikitravel - http://www.wikitravel.org/
Re: MediaWiki 1.1.0: Login Doesn't Stick [ In reply to ]
Our experience, before we recoded everything, (I am assured that we no long
er have this problem) was that new users had trouble getting log in to stick
and would sometimes give up. Those that keep trying eventually stayed logged
in although login would occasionally drop.

If you would like our problems instead of your problems you can try:

http://www.wikinfo.org/wiki.phtml?title=Wikinfo:GetWiki

Re: MediaWiki 1.1.0: Login Doesn't Stick [ In reply to ]
Previous versions had the same problem.

Re: MediaWiki 1.1.0: Login Doesn't Stick [ In reply to ]
Hi Folks,

To address my login problem, Evan suggested setting
the $wgCookieDomain and $wgCookiePath. Setting these
variables didn't appear to help. But perhaps I'm not
setting them correctly? Would the $wgCookiePath be
something like "/wiki/", if my URL is:
http://servername.xxxx.yyyy.zzzz.com/wiki/wiki.phtml

Also, with either the default or specific cookie
variable settings, I am getting these errors in the
Apache error.log:

[client IPaddressgoeshere] PHP Warning:
session_start():
open(/tmp\sess_747650f99119aca72bceb23fc4ba046f,
O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in
C:\Program Files\Apache
Group\Apache2\htdocs\wiki\Setup.php on line 93
[client IPaddressgoeshere] PHP Warning: Unknown():
open(/tmp\sess_747650f99119aca72bceb23fc4ba046f,
O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in
Unknown on line 0
[client IPaddressgoeshere] PHP Warning: Unknown():
Failed to write session data (files). Please verify
that the current setting of session.save_path is
correct (/tmp) in Unknown on line 0

Thanks again for all of your advice,
-Amy

Re: MediaWiki 1.1.0: Login Doesn't Stick [ In reply to ]
On Feb 17, 2004, at 11:27, A Chan wrote:
> [client IPaddressgoeshere] PHP Warning:
> session_start():
> open(/tmp\sess_747650f99119aca72bceb23fc4ba046f,
> O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in
> C:\Program Files\Apache
> Group\Apache2\htdocs\wiki\Setup.php on line 93

Your problem isn't the cookie, it's the temporary files that PHP saves
on the server. I couldn't tell you specifically what's appropriate for
running on Windows, but you probably want to change the setting for
session.save_path in your php.ini. Clearly Unix-style "/tmp" isn't
appropriate... "C:\Windows\Temp" maybe?

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: MediaWiki 1.1.0: Login Doesn't Stick [ In reply to ]
Brion Vibber wrote:
> Your problem isn't the cookie, it's the temporary files that PHP saves
> on the server. I couldn't tell you specifically what's appropriate for
> running on Windows, but you probably want to change the setting for
> session.save_path in your php.ini. Clearly Unix-style "/tmp" isn't
> appropriate... "C:\Windows\Temp" maybe?

Having been here in the past, I should note that if you create a C:\tmp, it
should work with current settings. I ran into this once on my Windows box.

-- Jake
Re: MediaWiki 1.1.0: Login Doesn't Stick [ In reply to ]
Hi Brion,

Wow!!! Thank you that did the trick!

Although I thought I had read and re-read the
documentation, I just noticed that nugget of
information documented on Meta at
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/MediaWiki_User%27s_Guide:_Installation#MediaWiki

Thank you everyone for your help!

-Amy

--- Brion Vibber <brion@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Feb 17, 2004, at 11:27, A Chan wrote:
> > [client IPaddressgoeshere] PHP Warning:
> > session_start():
> > open(/tmp\sess_747650f99119aca72bceb23fc4ba046f,
> > O_RDWR) failed: No such file or directory (2) in
> > C:\Program Files\Apache
> > Group\Apache2\htdocs\wiki\Setup.php on line 93
>
> Your problem isn't the cookie, it's the temporary
> files that PHP saves
> on the server. I couldn't tell you specifically
> what's appropriate for
> running on Windows, but you probably want to change
> the setting for
> session.save_path in your php.ini. Clearly
> Unix-style "/tmp" isn't
> appropriate... "C:\Windows\Temp" maybe?
>
> -- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
>

> ATTACHMENT part 1.2 application/pgp-signature
x-mac-type=70674453; name=PGP.sig