What might the cause of this be?

Thanks for any help,
Timwi
Re: Troubles with MediaWiki namespace [ In reply to ]
Timwi wrote:

> Unfortunately, {{msg:Blah}} is being replaced by nothing (i.e. it is
> just being removed) even though [[MediaWiki:Blah]] does contain text.

After two days of tweaking, I found out that the solution was to put

$wgUseDatabaseMessages = true;

into LocalSettings.php.

Why is this off by default?

Timwi
Re: Re: Troubles with MediaWiki namespace [ In reply to ]
Hi

On Sun 01-Feb-2004 at 02:37:04PM +0000, Timwi wrote:

> After two days of tweaking, I found out that the solution was to put
>
> $wgUseDatabaseMessages = true;
>
> into LocalSettings.php.
>
> Why is this off by default?

I asked about this on the #mediawiki irc channel and Tim explained
why it is off by default and how to turn it on and why one should
only have it on if memcached is running
(http://www.danga.com/memcached).

I'd suggest that it is added to LocalSettings.php, set to false and
has a comment explaining why it is turned off...

In my experience there is not an issue on a not-very-busy web
site with having it on... YMMV

Chris

--
Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>
web design http://www.webarchitects.co.uk/
Re: Troubles with MediaWiki namespace [ In reply to ]
Chris Croome wrote:

> On Sun 01-Feb-2004 at 02:37:04PM +0000, Timwi wrote:
>
>>After two days of tweaking, I found out that the solution was to put
>>
>> $wgUseDatabaseMessages = true;
>>
>>into LocalSettings.php.
>>
>>Why is this off by default?
>
> I asked about this on the #mediawiki irc channel and Tim explained
> why it is off by default and how to turn it on and why one should
> only have it on if memcached is running
> (http://www.danga.com/memcached).

I've investigated a bit more and found out that if you turn this option
on, then it uses the MediaWiki namespace for all messages all over the
user interface. That, of course, should be off by default because it is
very database-intensive without memcached.

Honestly, that option should be entirely separate from the {{msg:}} and
{{subst:}} functionality. Combining them into one seems rather silly.
Unfortunately, I don't have enough time to try and understand the code
enough to do this myself :( Anyone wanna do this? I want to use the
Language.php file to customise the messages, but I still want to be able
to use the MediaWiki namespace for {{msg:}} and {{subst:}}.

Greetings,
Timwi