Mailing List Archive

Install help with apache httpd.conf needed
Hi

I'm trying to get MediaWiki running on a Fedora 1 i686 box with
Fedora PHP 4.3.4, Fedore Apache 2.0.48 and MySQL 4.0.17 from
www.mysql.com.

At the moment I'm installing one site but if it goes well I might
want to install others on the same server.

I'm getting confused with the directories and the suggested
httpd.conf.

In LocalSettings.pm I have this:

$IP = "/var/www/wiki/wiki";
$wgServer = "http://wiki.example.com";
$wgScriptPath = "/wiki";
$wgArticlePath = "{$wgScript}?title=$1";

For httpd.conf I have (style and upload dirs left out to make it
shorter):

<VirtualHost *:80>

ServerName wiki.example.com

DocumentRoot "/var/www/wiki"

AddType application/x-httpd-php .php .php4 .phtml
php_admin_flag engine off

<Directory "/var/www/wiki/wiki">
DirectoryIndex wiki.phtml
php_admin_flag engine on
AllowOverride None
order allow,deny
allow from all
</Directory>

</VirtualHost>

This basically works but at / there is the default Fedora page that
is served when there is no index.html

I did try getting it installed in /var/www/wiki rather than
/var/www/wiki/wiki but that didn't work, I've also not got any
mod-rewrite rules working (I have tried to get them working but with
no luck).

I'd like a directory / httpd.conf /mod_rewrite setup that would
seperate off the code that is repeated for multiple sites from the
site specific stuff and I'd like URIs that are as short as possible
(I guess /w/ and /wiki/ can't be left out?).

Do people use a ScriptAlias for /w/ or something?

Does anyone have a setup that that they could post as an example (I
have spent some time in this list archives and on the web site but
couldn't find any answers...)?

One other thing, what is the difference between these two, is the
$wgDBsqlpassword variable the MySQL root password (that is what I'm
using but I don't understand why I'm also prompted for it when I run
install.php):

$wgDBpassword = "";
$wgDBsqlpassword = "";

Thanks

Chris

--
Chris Croome <chris@webarchitects.co.uk>
web design http://www.webarchitects.co.uk/
Re: Install help with apache httpd.conf needed [ In reply to ]
On Jan 15, 2004, at 17:39, Chris Croome wrote:
[snip]
> This basically works but at / there is the default Fedora page that
> is served when there is no index.html

Well, you might want to first confirm that the virtual server is the
one you're expecting. Put in a random HTML or text file and make sure
it's in the place you expect. Then try going at wiki.phtml directly.

If it's not working right, just dump the virtual server bits until
you've got it set up.

The configuration given looks like you would have to load up /wiki/ or
/wiki/wiki.phtml, not /, to get the wiki.

> One other thing, what is the difference between these two, is the
> $wgDBsqlpassword variable the MySQL root password (that is what I'm
> using but I don't understand why I'm also prompted for it when I run
> install.php):
>
> $wgDBpassword = "";
> $wgDBsqlpassword = "";

$wgDBpassword is for the regular wiki functioning. This account has
read/write access to all the wiki's tables, but it doesn't need to be
able to alter tables etc.

$wgDBsqlpassword is for a restricted account set up for sysops' SQL
queries. This should have read-only access and be totally restricted
from some parts of the database (user_email, user_password for
instance). Do *not* set that to your MySQL root account.

If you're using the install.php script, it should set up the accounts
based on the names and passwords you set.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)