is there a possibility to install Mediawiki on a Sourceforge-Website?, and
if yes, how do I do it? I'd love to use Mediawiki as the wiki for the
Website of my Sourceforge-Project, and yes, I know, it is overkill in some
instances, but it's so great in many others (I love free links, and not
having the strange looking '?' characters in my text, and much more).

So, how do I do it?

Thanks in advance,
Denny
Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
On Jan 3, 2004, at 18:42, Denny Vrandecic wrote:
> is there a possibility to install Mediawiki on a Sourceforge-Website?,
> and
> if yes, how do I do it? I'd love to use Mediawiki as the wiki for the
> Website of my Sourceforge-Project, and yes, I know, it is overkill in
> some
> instances, but it's so great in many others (I love free links, and not
> having the strange looking '?' characters in my text, and much more).

Sourceforge seems to have PHP 4.1.2 installed, which is a little old
but I think should work.

The default installation script probably will not work; it assumes root
access etc. You can try a manual install...

If you haven't already, get a database set up for your project. See:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=3052&group_id=1

Now, grab MediaWiki-1.1.0.tar.gz and untar it in your user space
somewhere (logged into shell.sourceforge.net).

Go into the maintenance subdirectory, and set up the table skeleton:
$ cat tables.sql indexes.sql initialdata.sql interwiki.sql | \
mysql -u projectname -p -h mysql.sourceforge.net projectname

It'll ask for the password that you set up the database with, and if
all is well will populate the tables.

*WARNING* MediaWiki expects to have a database all to itself. If you
are using your project's database for other purposes, please check that
there are no conflicts between MediaWiki's table names and anything
you're using, or they'll get wiped out.

Make a 'wiki' subdirectory under your project's htdocs dir, and cp or
mv in wiki.phtml, redirect.phtml, includes/*.php, and languages/*.php.
Also copy in the 'stylesheets' directory as 'wiki/style', and perhaps
'images' as 'wiki/upload'.

You'll need to set up a LocalSettings.php as well, which at a minimum
should look something like this:

<?
$IP="/home/groups/p/pr/projectname/wiki";
include("DefaultSettings.php");
$wgSitename = "Projectname";

$wgDBserver = "mysql.sourceforge.net";
$wgDBuser = "projectname";
$wgDBpassword = "yourpassword";
?>

assuming you put everything under the 'wiki' subdirectory.

I haven't tested any of this, so good luck. :)

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
On Jan 3, 2004, at 19:15, Brion Vibber wrote:
> $wgDBserver = "mysql.sourceforge.net";
> $wgDBuser = "projectname";
> $wgDBpassword = "yourpassword";

Of course I forgot:
$wgDBname = "projectname";

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
Hooray! Thank you a lot, Brion, it worked just as you have said, perfect!

Now it's time to make it look like I want it to look :)
But, as said, wow, and thank you a lot!

Why isn't the HowTo you have written for me somewhere accessible on the net?
Now it is even tested.

In your debt,
Denny Vrandecic
Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
Sorry for bothering again... just a stupid question: how do I give myself
developer, sysop, admin rights and so on, after I installed mediawiki
succesfully?

Denny
Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
On Jan 3, 2004, at 21:14, Denny Vrandecic wrote:
> Sorry for bothering again... just a stupid question: how do I give
> myself
> developer, sysop, admin rights and so on, after I installed mediawiki
> succesfully?

See:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Setting_user_rights_in_MediaWiki

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
Thank you again!

Everything is up and running now (though not public yet - it is on
http://darkeyetool.sourceforge.net/wiki/wiki.phtml ).

But everytime I make an update of a page, or start a new page, or delete a
page, or whatever, there comes a error message:

DELETE linkscc FROM linkscc,brokenlinks WHERE lcc_pageid=bl_from AND
bl_to='Hilfe'

aus der Funktion "". MySQL meldete den Fehler "1064: You have an error in
your SQL syntax near 'linkscc FROM linkscc,brokenlinks WHERE
lcc_pageid=bl_from AND bl_to='Hilfe'' at line 1".
<<

The action is performed, but I'd like to patch the error away...

Best regards,
Denny
RE: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
Yes, I'm getting that error too, on an installation I did a couple days ago
(so haven't had time to dig deeper yet).

If I refresh the page with the error (and post the data again) it works the
second time OK.

I'm using Apache 2 on this, and have had no similar problems with Apache
1.3.x - I can look up more specific information if you want.

Only happens when I create a new page, updating is fine. I couldn't spot
what was wrong with that MySQL statement!?

- Sven

Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
> Only happens when I create a new page, updating is fine. I couldn't spot
> what was wrong with that MySQL statement!?

yep, correct. Updating is fine. Deleting and Moving Pages though isn't.
*shrug* No idea what happens there...

Denny
RE: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
Apologies. It IS 1.3:

Apache/1.3.29 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.14 OpenSSL/0.9.7b
mod_perl/1.29

MySQL version is 3.23.56

PHP version 4.1.2 is 'latest Debian stable version' so I'm told, so the
admin isn't keen to update (I don't admin that server). I noticed on the
Mediawiki pages that 4.3 or greater is recommended, and that issues might
crop up with 4.2 and earlier - could this be one of them?

- Sven

www.svenlatham.com

Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:11:32PM -0000, Sven Latham wrote:
> Apologies. It IS 1.3:
>
> Apache/1.3.29 (Debian GNU/Linux) PHP/4.1.2 mod_ssl/2.8.14 OpenSSL/0.9.7b
> mod_perl/1.29
>
> MySQL version is 3.23.56
>
> PHP version 4.1.2 is 'latest Debian stable version' so I'm told, so the
> admin isn't keen to update (I don't admin that server). I noticed on the
> Mediawiki pages that 4.3 or greater is recommended, and that issues might
> crop up with 4.2 and earlier - could this be one of them?

I believe I ran into this same issue on my mediawiki debian stable install as well.

The solution was to install a more recent version of PHP that had been backported:

From:
http://wiki.breakset.com/wiki/breakset_wiki:Installing

added:

deb http://debian.moolfreet.com ./

to:

/etc/apt/source-list

and then installed a backported later version of php4 as root via:

# apt-get update
# apt-get upgrade

The version is now 4.3.4 and I have not seen any SQL error messages since.

I do intend on adding this information to the mediawiki documentation ASAP.

Hope this helps.

- Jason
RE: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
Hi Jason,

Thanks. I tried this but it didn't help - still got the error.

I looked a bit further into that SQL statement and it turns out that only
MySQL 4.0.0 and greater support multiple tables in DELETE statements.

I searched around the code a bit (not enough CVS skill to go looking at
histories yet ;) and there are at least four such DELETE statements in the
installation that have this issue.

The installation that causes problems (contains above statements) is:
mediawiki-1.1.0
The installation that works OK for me on other (MySQL 3.23) computers is:
mediawiki-20031107

I'm not sure what the best solution is?!

- Sven

Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
On Jan 4, 2004, at 08:42, Denny Vrandecic wrote:
> aus der Funktion "". MySQL meldete den Fehler "1064: You have an error
> in
> your SQL syntax near 'linkscc FROM linkscc,brokenlinks WHERE
> lcc_pageid=bl_from AND bl_to='Hilfe'' at line 1".
> <<
>
> The action is performed, but I'd like to patch the error away...

Looks like a MySQL 3.x problem. The linkscc table is used to cache link
lookup data and speeds up page display a bit, but isn't actually
necessary. Things should work if you disable it...

Try putting this in your LocalSettings.php:
$wgEnablePersistentLC = false;

I'll see if we can detect this for the next version...

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
Here's Brion's solution

Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
Thanks again, Brion.
Works fine now!

Great :)

Happy greetings,
Denny
Re: Mediawiki on Sourceforge [ In reply to ]
On Sun, Jan 04, 2004 at 05:57:13AM +0100, Denny Vrandecic wrote:
> Hooray! Thank you a lot, Brion, it worked just as you have said, perfect!
>
> Now it's time to make it look like I want it to look :)
> But, as said, wow, and thank you a lot!
>
> Why isn't the HowTo you have written for me somewhere accessible on the net?
> Now it is even tested.
>
> In your debt,
> Denny Vrandecic

I have condensed the gist of this thread into:
http://meta.wikipedia.org/wiki/Documentation:Installation#Installing_MediaWiki_on_SourceForge

All credit to Brion for the text and Denny for wanting it done.

Enjoy!