Mailing List Archive

Setting the path in after installing mediawiki
Hello Mediawiki Group,
I must admit that, I am a relative newbie
to LAMP itself.
I want to implement a local wiki using a wikimedia software. I have
setup the apache server, configured PHP with Apache and MySQL daemon is
also running.

I downloaded the mediawiki software and installed it.
BUT my problem is I am not sure, if I am giving the correct Path to
various files.

My Apache server interprets PHP files if they are located at
/var/www/html (DocumentRoot "/var/www/html")

I also noticed that myApache server interprets the PHP files,only if it
is in .php format and does not read .phtml format.(AddType
application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml is Set)

What changes,should make in the LocalSettings.php and AdminSettings.php
?
When I compile, I also get a warning stating that

WARNING: register_globals is not on; MediaWiki currently relies on this
option.

If I compile without any changes to the LocalSettings and AdminSettings
and Link /usr/local/apache/htdocs/wiki/wiki.phtml to index.php (in my
DocumentRoot folder) , then my PHP is not being properly interpreted.

This is far from using http://www.myhost.com/wiki/wiki.phtml to view the
file. ( This is not at all getting recognized)

What steps should I follow the setup the correct path in the setings.
Which paths need to be setup to what?

Kindly help me.

Thank you.

Regards,
Senthil

My system configuration is:
1) Redhat Linux 3.0 Enterprise
2) Apache 2.0
3) PHP 4.3.2 ent
4) MySQL 3.23
5) Downloaded the latest stable version of mediawiki.
Re: Setting the path in after installing mediawiki [ In reply to ]
On Dec 18, 2003, at 03:47, Senthil_OR@Dell.com wrote:
> I also noticed that myApache server interprets the PHP files,only if it
> is in .php format and does not read .phtml format.(AddType
> application/x-httpd-php .php .phtml is Set)

Be sure to restart Apache (apachectl restart) after editing the Apache
configuration files. If for some reason is just won't work, you should
be able to rename the installed wiki.phtml to wiki.php and have things
work; you'll just have to be sure and fix up $wgScript in
LocalSettings.php appropriately.

> What changes,should make in the LocalSettings.php and AdminSettings.php
> ?
> When I compile, I also get a warning stating that
>
> WARNING: register_globals is not on; MediaWiki currently relies on this
> option.

You won't be able to get at anything but the main page unless you
enable register_globals. Edit your php.ini (on Red Hat this is probably
/etc/php.ini, but a custom configuration could put it in several other
places) and change this line:
register_globals = Off
to:
register_globals = On

Now, you have to restart Apache to make sure it gets completely
reloaded. (apachectl restart)

> What steps should I follow the setup the correct path in the setings.
> Which paths need to be setup to what?

The configuration system is a little strange, unintuitive, and poorly
documented, I know. The thing to remember is this: everything is set
*first* in DefaultSettings.php. Your LocalSettings.php calls that in,
and *then* resets and overrides individual values.

If one of the base variables (such as $wgScriptPath or $wgScript) is
wrong by default, you need to override *every* default setting that
makes use of it. Study DefaultSettings.php to see what might need to be
changed.

-- brion vibber (brion @ pobox.com)
Re: Setting the path in after installing mediawiki [ In reply to ]
On Thu, 2003-12-18 at 17:49, Brion Vibber wrote:

>You won't be able to get at anything but the main page unless you
>enable register_globals. Edit your php.ini (on Red Hat this is probably
>/etc/php.ini, but a custom configuration could put it in several other
>places) and change this line:
register_globals = Off
to:
register_globals = On

Thank you Very Much!!! My local wikipedia, using wikimedia software is
up and running. I was very excited to see that!

Now, I shall study the various docs to figure out the tweakings to our
taste.

Regards,

Senthil